Bootleg sets S ROM question

I noticed that pretty much all bootleg/hacked Neo-Geo sets use a 128k S ROM, even when the original set uses a 512k one. This results in a loss of fake transparency effects for these sets.

So my question is, when one of these games is run from an actual bootleg board does it have fake transparency effects or not?

Thanks alot. :P

+ T +

Yes, it does have fake transp. effects emulated.

for example, kof2003b has a S1 of 1 Mb crc32 04B902B9 which has transp. effects, this S1 is stored in C5 & C6 ROMs images of 16 Mb (indeed 512 Kb x 2 + junk).

Same thing with svcboot, it has a S1 of 512 Kb with transp. effects easily perceptible on charas lifebars.

So why is it then that in all the DATs, the correct S ROMs for these bootleg sets are always listed as 128k?

For example, whenever I see a DAT or driver for svcsplus the S ROM is always listed as 233d6439 128k. There is a 512k version (a792fdba) but this is only ever used in the alternate set (svcsplsa). Surely if the 128k ROM is incorrect, the 512k version should be used in the main set and there should be no svcsplsa.

Obviously the reason I'm asking is because I want to use the most correct ROMs in FBA-XXX Pro. And I never know whether to go with what the drivers and DATs say (128k) or with what seems more correct to me (512k).

Thanks alot for the help Mr.X :P

Indeed, all the 128 Kb S1's 'R 1 segment from the true 512 Kb (here svcchaos) or 1 Mb S1 (kof2003).

128 Kb S1 fixed & descrambled 'R used with emus supporting fully decrypted (bankswitching in P ROMs images removed too) sets like NRX or crappy loaders.

Edited by Mr.X

Afaik there are no bootlegs that use 512k S roms. It is much cheaper to use a 128k rom chip than a 512k one.

If you see a bootleg dump using a 512k rom, most likeley it has been hacked to use 512.

Kof10th is an interesting exception of all the above, but it does not use a 512k chip. It uses an 8mb P rom with two banks of S data stored in it.

Afaik there are no bootlegs that use 512k S roms.  It is much cheaper to use a 128k rom chip than a 512k one.

If you see a bootleg dump using a 512k rom, most likeley it has been hacked to use 512.

Kof10th is an interesting exception of all the above, but it does not use a 512k chip.  It uses an 8mb P rom with two banks of S data stored in it.

So IQ, you're saying that bootlegs do not have transparency effects when played from an actual board?