iRoms?

Inky

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's already a site legally selling roms - only Atari ones so far for a price of $2 to $6 each. They give you one free download when you join up. When I looked yesterday they only had 25 games.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't use a site like that. Sure, 90% of the stuff on my comp is more or less illegal, but do I really care? No.

Best point in the whole thread :D:P:clapping:

Well said Agozer....this guy must be fooling himself if he thinks he can pull this stunt, giving the Mame team such hell. As already said, he alienated the wrong people, and the wrong crowd. I wouldn't give his company a year..

I think the real problem is he's going after the wrong market. He seems to the think emulation is akin to mp3 downloading. There are tons more people who download mp3s, most of whom have little technical skill and so use pay services as much for the ease of use as the legality. Whereas in the emulation scene, everyone already knows how to find games and get them to work in random programs. You have almost no users without technical knowledge in the emulation scene.

I think a better business plan surrounding emulation would be to package a bunch of games together and sell them with the emulator integrated so nontechnical casual gamers (the sort who download games off yahoo) would be interested. There have been some best-of packs by different game manufactuers (konami, atari, etc) but there is still room in the market for someone who wants to put together 100's of arcade games from different manufactuers and sell it through yahoo-like sites. But if he just focuses on the dedicated emulation scene, he's screwed.

I think his Ultracade machines are kind of like that, emulation machines for newbies.

Oh, I was under the impression that Ultracade was meant for arcade operators, not pc users. Like a big multiple game system in one cabinet. His competition was from people buying mame cabinets, and his trademark app that started all this was in order to keep cabinet makers from advertising with 'Mame' on ebay.

I was thinking the proper market for emulation marketing would be those sites that sell flash games like yahoo and real arcade.