microsoft grabs more japanese talent

Inky

In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft today announced that esteemed videogame developers Yoshiki Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games. The announcement comes on the heels of last week's news that video game legend Hironobu Sakaguchi, president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft Game Studios to develop role-playing games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox platform.

For more than 20 years, Okamoto has been thrilling gamers with franchises like Street Fighter and Resident Evil.

Mizuguchi is the creative force behind a litany of innovative blockbusters including SEGA Rally Championship, Rez and Space Channel 5.

All I can say to sony is..... BWAHAHAHAHA!

Xbox has like a few good RPGs ya know(ok, maybe 3). But yeah, glad Sony isn't whoring them anymore.

That's great for XboX. Now they can have some decent RPG's..

On another note, Gryph posted this during the East vs West topic.

no this is totally seperate news, the one gryph posted was:

Hironobu Sakaguchi - creator of the Final Fantasy franchise - has signed up with Microsoft Game Studios to create two exclusive Xbox Next role-playing games:

"Sakaguchi-san has taken role-playing games — traditionally a niche market — and introduced them to a broad and diverse audience across the globe," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing at Microsoft. "We are ecstatic to work with Sakaguchi-san and celebrate what this news means not only for Xbox, but for gamers worldwide."

"I'm excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing," Sakaguchi said. "A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I'm confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill.

"Microsoft's cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years," Sakaguchi said. "I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory."

Yeah, this is new news. I read it earlier at work today. But it's nice to see that Microsoft is reaching out to the Japanese market which they pretty much failed to do with XBOX 1. XBOX2 just might be a good console. :)

NO!!!, the xbox 2 must fail, this can't happen !!!! lol, jk i don't play rpg that much anyway but now more people are gonna get the bill-box, grrr....

That's all well and good for MS. But Sony hasn't gotten this far and successful as it has to worry about MS snagging some Japanese developers. The Xbox can't bank on a few Japanese games....

I think the more positive aspect of this development is that gamers who buy an xbox can enjoy some of the gameplay seen on the Playstation that MS hasn't really pursued much.