putting together a PC

Iori Yagami

I'm hoping to put together a PC once I save enough money.

I'm just wondering how much it'll cost me and what I'll need to buy.

What I'll need it for

1) emulation - I don't play many PC games. all of my gaming done on my PC is is emulation. What will I need to have a good emu machine?

on a side note, have PS2, XBox, and Gamecube emulators been made? how powerful of a computer would I need to use them (I know it's got freakishly strong)

2) multiple OSes - I would like to have windows XP, 98SE, and a some Linux distro.

I'll have XP as my standard OS, 98SE to play any older PC games, and Linux because I need to take Unix/Linux to game my CS degree, and I would like to make Linux versions of the games/apps I make.

what will I need for this?

3) media - I'd like a DVD drive, and a DVD burner that's compatible with all the DVD formats (DVD-RAM, DVD+R, etc), CD formats, and that's reasonably fast.

I'd like to my one of those Scanner/Copier/Printer combos.

I'm like to watch TV on my comp, play my gaming consoles on them, and be able to get all sort of video input and audio input. I will also need to capture the video and audio input. how much will a good TV card set me back?

4) networking - I am learning how to make games, and am limited by the fact that I have only one computer when I try to make Multiplayer online games.

I would like to set up a small LAN (about 5 computers), So I can properly test the games (and other networking applications) I make.

what will I need for this?

and just for the sake of asking, how much would a good digital video camera cost?

So yeah that's the laundry list of stuff I'd like.

assuming I have nothing (no monitor, or anything), what should I put on my to buy list and how much should I save up?

Edited by Iori Yagami

First off, you need to tell us how much are you willing to spend.

And most of us will take it from there telling from your buget.