RPGs; Eastern vs. Western

Which style of RPG suits you best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ahahahah, wow, looks like the hero defender comes out of his closet just in time to save the day. Seriously, if you wanted to act like a big shot and come in here to contest what I've said, maybe you should've done it earlier and with better results. Jumping in at that the end of the battle to give your two cents is worthless really.

Which, as garageink pointed out, doesn't happen in a decent Western RPG. If you're aiming for the most powerful character you can make, just check a FAQ and make him. If you're playing the game, the advantage of a good Western RPG is that you can make whatever character you want and still beat it with a little skill and luck. Your second paragraph in this response is assinine and will be ignored.

What's your definition of a decent western rpg? Your an "assinine" for not thinking about what example your using and for arguing that games where you designate points are bad examples of great Western RPG...what western game that is good doesn't have options to designate points? What game allows you to put an idiotic skill anywhere and be able to have a powerful character? Why use a FAQ to create an uber character when the whole point of the Western RPG is to have a customizable one...NOT making someone else's character.

Maybe something has lead you to think that "racism" is a synonym for "prejudice," "discrimination," or "bias." "Racism" relates directly to "race" as the term is applied to humans. There are better words for what you're trying to say, and misusing "racism" in this situation makes it seem like you're just trying to sound offensive. Oh wait, you ended this one with another baseless and snide remark, perhaps you are...

Racism and prejudice stem from the same account. Both basing arguments on beliefs rather than fact. Here's a definition for you.

-Racism-

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Did you read that nice and clear? We are talking about western vs eastern remember? Believing that Western are created more superior to Eastern is racist in my books fool.

Nearly this entire thread has been about single-player RPGs, for which the Western part of the genre has plenty of noteable entries. MMORPGs like Everquest and dungeon romps like Diablo are not the games garageink is backing in this case. It's clear that you are not familiar with Western RPGs, or that you are terribly biased against them. Furthermore, Lineage is Korean.

If you're going to back your favorite games, that's fine, but don't pepper your posts with baseless insults towards other users, especially if you don't know what you're talking about in the first place.

Nearly the entire thread? What have you been reading moron? The majority of the pages are comments like "Western", "Oh Eastern", Final Fantasy discussion and Hot and Cold fool. Maybe you should read them sometime. The only mentions are Morrowind and Fallout, which in your case is the basic essence of Western games. Since we are in the present time I felt I had to consider the latest entries of Western games that are most popular among the masses and not just to you. The market is full of Diablo clones and don't give me this shi t about me not knowing about western rpg's.

Once again your the one who just wants a little attention by acting like a big shot. But basically, your just getting shot down. Save your useless defences in maybe the spam topic, because your posts are jibberish.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Story doesn't make a game...it's gameplay. Story is just an element that entices the player. I'd like a game to have a good story but the one thing I look for most is gameplay.

Westside is all about gameplay while Eastside is story.

I agree, now it feels like it anyways.

What's your definition of a decent western rpg? Your an "assinine" for not thinking about what example your using and for arguing that games where you designate points are bad examples of great Western RPG...what western game that is good doesn't have options to designate points? What game allows you to put an idiotic skill anywhere and be able to have a powerful character? Why use a FAQ to create an uber character when the whole point of the Western RPG is to have a customizable one...NOT making someone else's character.
You actually fail to notice the main stand point in Western RPGs. Just because theres this small little FAQ to make a uber character doesn't mean you have to use it. It's just their way of achiving set goal.
Racism and prejudice stem from the same account. Both basing arguments on beliefs rather than fact. Here's a definition for you.

-Racism-

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Did you read that nice and clear? We are talking about western vs eastern remember? Believing that Western are created more superior to Eastern is racist in my books fool.

I'll put this in big letters for everyone. It's what you think.
Nearly the entire thread? What have you been reading moron? The majority of the pages are comments like "Western", "Oh Eastern", Final Fantasy discussion and Hot and Cold fool. Maybe you should read them sometime. The only mentions are Morrowind and Fallout, which in your case is the basic essence of Western games. Since we are in the present time I felt I had to consider the latest entries of Western games that are most popular among the masses and not just to you. The market is full of Diablo clones and don't give me this shi t about me not knowing about western rpg's.

Once again your the one who just wants a little attention by acting like a big shot. But basically, your just getting shot down. Save your useless defences in maybe the spam topic, because your posts are jibberish.

Like wise with this.

Just because most of us use 2 games all the time, is just because we find them to be supiror to others that have come out on the market. Yes, we use them all the time, yes we use them to death, but if you want to experience something first hand and right away, start off with those games. Their are plenty of other games under this small section that, if you want too, you can search for.

Heck, what a good selection, I'll give you one.

Fallout

System Shock II

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I/II

The Longest Journey

Baldur's Gate I/II

Sainitairum

Syberia

Myst (I'm sure some people will agree Myst fits here, since it's like, everywhere)

Finally.

I'm the big shot because i'm the Troll. And just because, as a troll, your a douche bag.

Fallout

System Shock II

The Longest Journey

Baldur's Gate I/II

Sainitairum

Syberia

Myst

Ah yeah...not the best selection. I don't know what you were trying to go with there.

Isn't system shock a fps with rpg elements? Why didn't you add Deus Ex while you are at it.

I'm the big shot because i'm the Troll. And just because, as a troll, your a douche bag.

Your troll abilities seem too forced...a troll should be more natural. Nice John Stewart lingo.

Fallout

System Shock II

The Longest Journey

Baldur's Gate I/II

Sainitairum

Syberia

Myst

Ah yeah...not the best selection. I don't know what you were trying to go with there.

Isn't system shock a fps with rpg elements? Why didn't you add Deus Ex while you are at it.

Your troll abilities seem too forced...a troll should be more natural. Nice John Stewart lingo.

It's MY list after all. It's open source, feel free to add more. I'm just adding what I can do from the top of my head.

For properly being a troll, one simply must say anything at anyone.

System Shock is the define term of a perfect hybrid of FPS and RPG. Kinda like that crappy PS2 game thats not EQ.

Your an "assinine"

heheh you totally used that word wrong.

here's todays vocabulary lesson:

you are an ASS

your posts are assinine.

now as for the racism thing. you implied that if we didn't embrace eastern RPG's we must be racists. even though we all own eastern consoles, and tv's. most everyone in this thread is a diehard eastern fighting game fan. my point was that there are lots of parts of asian culture I find useless and stupid (hentai, used underwear vending machines, idiots dieing from malnutrition cuz they are too busy playing ragnarok, ect.) Do I hate eastern races and culture because of this? no. and if we are going to think this way then japan is a nation a racists because they haven't embraced the xbox :P

and if you haven't noticed Morrowind has been out for years. I've beat it so many times because I've had it since it's release and I like it, it's hardly all I do. between my art, my guitar, work, my side work as a tattoo artist, my wife and kids, friends, and all my other games, you'd wonder how I have time to eat and sleep much less play a game for hours at a time.

I don't consider diablo and it's clones or harvest moon rpgs. so when ever you bring those up my eyes just gloss over and you lose crediblity points with me

and finally, there are some eastern rpgs I like but I grew up with real pen and paper shadowrun and D&D.

Edited by garageink

Do I hate eastern races and culture because of this? no. and if we are going to think this way then japan is a nation a racists because they haven't embraced the xbox :)

They haven't accepted BLACK people!

I'm just making cheap shots now.

What's your definition of a decent western rpg? Your an "assinine" for not thinking about what example your using and for arguing that games where you designate points are bad examples of great Western RPG...what western game that is good doesn't have options to designate points? What game allows you to put an idiotic skill anywhere and be able to have a powerful character?
My point was that in a good Western RPG, such as Fallout, Morrowind, or Planescape: Torment, you can "designate points" any way you please and not end up with a useless character. Having a min/maxed "powerful" character is not necessary to have fun with the game, nor is it the goal of the game.

If you like Mazdas more than Fords, it is not a sign of "racism." The word carries its own specific meaning and a connotation that isn't applicable here. But that isn't the point..

Nearly the entire thread in the context of the discussion you entered when you started your mud-slinging. Your argument is a straw man, and I'm not going to repeat my correction of it.

Ad Hominem. Read the forum rules before you get yourself warned.

Worthless gibberish.

Ad Hominem? WTf is that? Read a dictionary.

And to my knowledge I haven't done anything wrong so far. Gryph and his goons would've stopped me if I had.

And I can use any word I choose. If you can't decipher the context that's your problem.

heheh you totally used that word wrong.

here's todays vocabulary lesson:

you are an ASS

your posts are assinine.

I'm fully aware of what it means dimwit. It's called play on words, or a joke to reduce the mind stress.

Maybe you should focus on your family and stop playing Morrowind doofus.

Edited by NeoMaster

Worthless gibberish.

Ad Hominem? WTf is that? Read a dictionary.

And to my knowledge I haven't done anything wrong so far. Gryph and his goons would've stopped me if I had.

And I can use any word I choose. If you can't decipher the context that's your problem.

They'll be comin' like bats like Stacy Coon on ya.

Ad Hominem Against the man or Against the person. It's latin I knew what Hominem means but no idea what the hell Ad was. Google for the win!