RPGs; Eastern vs. Western

Which style of RPG suits you best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Agozer's question, I'd recommend Neverwinter Nights and it's expansions. Beautiful translation of DnD from paper to PC. Baldur's Gate I haven't played yet. And Morrowind is fun, but just doesn't quite cut it for me. The whole thing just feels odd compared to most RPGs.

And FF9 still blows, because I didn't enjoy playing it overall. hot & Cold probobly had a lot to do with that though. :\ If you don't know what it is, it's getting on a chocobo and running around an oddly shaped area for 30 seconds pecking at the ground and hoping you hit something. If you don't hit something you'll get a message saying how far away you are. It can be nearly impossible to hit the sweet spot for finding the items that don't blow, and it takes forever for the rare items to spawn anyway. I literally spent days playing this lame mini-game, just because I had nothing else to do at the time. I have yet to actually complete it.

Back on the topic of Neverwinter Nights. Can someone lend me their CD Keys? It sounds odd, but I just bought Hordes of the Underdark and I want to play it, unfortunately my NWN Gold manual has gone missing, so I can't reinstall it to play Hordes of the Underdark. If there are any other solutions, let me know.

Back on the topic of Neverwinter Nights.  Can someone lend me their CD Keys?  It sounds odd, but I just bought Hordes of the Underdark and I want to play it, unfortunately my NWN Gold manual has gone missing, so I can't reinstall it to play Hordes of the Underdark.  If there are any other solutions, let me know.

Sorry, but asking for CD-keys is forbidden here, no matter what the excuse might be.

I wish they made more D&D games outside the Forgetten Realms campaign. There was only one Planescape and I can't recall any Ravenloft ones. I'm suprised I even remember Ravenloft, we played that on pen and paper only a few times.

I haven't played Dark Alliance. Outside of seeing a few screenshots it doesn't look that great, looks like another mass market appealing game.

Wasn't something called Blood Riddence or something similar along those lines based on Ravenloft?

Hmm...I will try to hunt that down. I actually have not heard of that game. Is that one of those old ones released by SSI or is it recent? If it's SSI then I probably missed out on it since there were quite a few.

Ok i cooled off now and apologize for any inconvenience

What i think is the two should merge styles an make the ultimate rpg

think fable and otogi

How was Fable? People who share my taste in games in other forums say it blows and just boils down to a linear hack n' slash. I haven't had an opportunity to play for more than 10 minutes, so to those who have played it, how about a nice short description of gameplay.

I wish they made more D&D games outside the Forgetten Realms campaign. There was only one Planescape and I can't recall any Ravenloft ones. I'm suprised I even remember Ravenloft, we played that on pen and paper only a few times.

I haven't played Dark Alliance. Outside of seeing a few screenshots it doesn't look that great, looks like another mass market appealing game.

Wasn't something called Blood Riddence or something similar along those lines based on Ravenloft?

Hmm...I will try to hunt that down. I actually have not heard of that game. Is that one of those old ones released by SSI or is it recent? If it's SSI then I probably missed out on it since there were quite a few.

Ok i cooled off now and apologize for any inconvenience

What i think is the two should merge styles an make the ultimate rpg

think fable and otogi

How was Fable? People who share my taste in games in other forums say it blows and just boils down to a linear hack n' slash. I haven't had an opportunity to play for more than 10 minutes, so to those who have played it, how about a nice short description of gameplay.

Fable was nowhere near the hype. It was just a decent hack and slash rpg. the freedom aspect was way overhyped. You could do anything you wanted to, as long as the game told you to.

I still dont get where the hate for eastern style rpgs come from. Ive heard a lot of "x sucks" but never any real reasons why.

But definitely neverwinter nights. aeribeth was such a memorable character.

Yeah, it's an old school SSI game. I know the name is somewhere along those lines. I've actually tried it on my uncle's computer when I was a wee little DM.

I still dont get where the hate for eastern style rpgs come from. Ive heard a lot of "x sucks" but never any real reasons why.

1.) I don't like the art style.

2.) I don't like the universe most of them are set in.

3.) I hate the lack of character creation and meaningful character development.

4.) I don't like the lack of multiple conversation paths that have consequences on the game.

5.) I just find them to be extremely dull.

Is that clear enough?

so Daeval let me read you your rights.

:lol:

I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. Read that first paragraph again. I was defending you from K's criticism. I didn't expect for a moment that you were actually trying to end our discussion, hence the tongue-in-cheek nature of the last line. "String him up" is just an expression - one that symbolizes an ignorant, irrational reaction - it was used to show the un-seriousness of the line.

So yeah, no ill-will was intended at all. Hope that clears that up. :roll:

1.) I don't like the art style.

2.) I don't like the universe most of them are set in.

3.) I hate the lack of character creation and meaningful character development.

4.) I don't like the lack of multiple conversation paths that have consequences on the game.

5.) I just find them to be extremely dull.

Is that clear enough?

That's a lot of hate from you! But what you said is true! :roll: