RPGs; Eastern vs. Western

Which style of RPG suits you best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have easily said Eastern up until Final Fantasy 7 was released. Despite that it sucked hard, that game became the model for future Eastern imports. From that point on, most of what has come to the states has been wretched, with a few notable exceptions (IE Final Fantasy 9). Way to go U.S., we might as well have taken the bait on Mystic Quest.

The lack of quality in Eastern console RPGs drove me to playing western PC RPGs and finding much quality there - such as that in Fallout and Morrowind. I can't throw my lot in entirely with them though, as I still hold some Eastern classics dear, especially Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (American numbering).

Where do some things fit? For example, Strategy RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea? They're mostly Eastern, but don't really fit in with the regular Eastern RPGs. Also, do MMORPGs count as Western? And what about action RPGs like Secret of Mana or Diablo? I didn't consider any of those when casting my vote.

Edited by Daeval

Where do some things fit?  For example, Strategy RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea?  They're mostly Eastern, but don't really fit in with the regular Eastern RPGs.  Also, do MMORPGs count as Western?  And what about action RPGs like Secret of Mana or Diablo?  I didn't consider any of those when casting my vote.

Strategy RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea? Eastern.

Also, do MMORPGs count as Western? Western. Ignore Phantasy Star Online.

And what about action RPGs like Secret of Mana or Diablo? Eastern and Western. :D

Where do some things fit?  For example, Strategy RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea?  They're mostly Eastern, but don't really fit in with the regular Eastern RPGs.

How so? I find your reasoning a bit lacking. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Hoshigami etc. etc. are Tactical RPGs. I'd say they are more than qualified to be in the eastern category.

And like Mr. G said, most MMORPGs are pretty much western, with a few excpetions like Final Fantasy XI Online, Phantasy Star Online and a whole bunch of Korean ones.

I would have easily said Eastern up until Final Fantasy 7 was released.  Despite that it sucked hard, that game became the model for future Eastern imports.  From that point on, most of what has come to the states has been wretched, with a few notable exceptions (IE Final Fantasy 9).  Way to go U.S., we might as well have taken the bait on Mystic Quest.

You don't like FF7 yet you find 9 an "exception".

Check your weed bag and clean out the beaver tranquilizer.

I would have easily said Eastern up until Final Fantasy 7 was released.  Despite that it sucked hard, that game became the model for future Eastern imports.  From that point on, most of what has come to the states has been wretched, with a few notable exceptions (IE Final Fantasy 9).  Way to go U.S., we might as well have taken the bait on Mystic Quest.

FF9 Totally rocks every FF fantasy before it and after 5. Shame everyone hates something of it. 7 However, will always be the game Final Fantasy will be known for. No matter what, since it was the game that gave the Final Fantasy series a reinvention. I ditched FF7 a long time ago, and don't mind breaking the cds against the wall.