CPU Overheating Problem

Sultan

Lately my cpu has been overheating a lot. I have a P4 3.0, OEM fan & heatsink. This is actually my second cpu, as my first one got hit by a bad power spike (first was exactly the same). I got a replacement CPU and fan from Intel and a new, quieter power supply. Since then, my cpu runs a good deal hotter. The original cpu used to average 98-104°F and peak around 120°F. The new one regularly hits 130°F on moderate processing tasks such as raring an mp3 album, and peaks at 140°F on heavy loads such as encoding, compiling and emulation (visual pinball and tougher mame drivers like STV stuff always peak it). Also the Mobo temp never gets above 102°F, so things are fine elsewhere in the case.

I'd try and fix the problem by going out and getting a new fan but 1) I'm not sure what would be a good buy as I've always used the default model and 2) I find it odd that the original fan/heatsink/cpu combo was doing fine and this supposedly exact replacement is so much hotter.

If I have to go out and buy a new fan/heatsink, that’s fine, as long as its cheap and quiet. :banghead: Or is there maybe something easier that I’m missing that I could fix right now, such as a way to make the fan run faster? What else could have changed during the replacement of cpus? Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

overheating = either get new cooling methods or figure out a way to excess more cool air in and hot air out of your case.

Methods to clean an intel heatsink is pretty easy. Remove it from the socket, clean the it effectively(compressed air first, then with water), sand the bottom a bit(optional, but it helps), apply new thermal paste, place back on die should be good as new. Then clean the fan by disconnecting it

and running the compressed air thru it.

Ok. I cleaned the fan yesterday but didn't clean off all the old thermal compound (not that its really that old since I haven't had this heatsink long). I guess I'll do that and see if it helps.

IF I have to buy a new one, I have very little to spend, like $25 or so :lol: I'm so poor I have trouble buying food right now.

Ok, I just now converted your temps to celsius (that's what I'm used to) and it comes out to 60. Now...that isn't really that bad unless it goes more. I think the maximum safe temperature is around 70 C or 158 F. Now...I think getting food is more important than a heatsink right now. Also, till you can get a new heatsink, try to limit your encoding and stuff.

Ya, I just thought 60 C was a little too close for comfort. I cleaned the heatsink off thoroughly last night and applied new thermal compound and it seems to be a little better now, only peaking at 120 F.

Is there a way to control the cpu fan speed? Its only running at 1800 rpm right now and I know I've seen it run at like 3000 before. Would be nice to tell it to run faster when it hits 60 C. I have an ASUS P4P800-E mobo.

I don't know if you can change the fan speed manually, that Smart Fan stuff is programmed into the BIOS. It wouldn't hurt to check out the BIOS and see if there is a way to keep it at steady rate. Most fans these days adjust their speed according to the load because it's more efficient and takes less power.