EA at it again?

NeoMaster

So your saying EA owning monopolizing everything is good?

What have you been smoking?

He's never seen monoplizing in action.

Drake: You wanna know why the wrestling sucks right now? No competetion. It's just big bad stupid WWE. Thats the best compairsion I can use. Why? Because it's TRUE.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake...PLEASE SHUT UP IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! I mean having opinions is one thing but to blather on like you know what you're talking about (and you obviously don't) is really disturbing. You have no idea how industry, especially the game industry which is so desperately want to be part of, works.

Monopolies are never good! They never foster creativity or advancement. Competition fosters creativity. One game company has to make their game better than another company so it sells better and more.

The only way a monopoly like that would work is if gamers just rolled over, shut up, and just accepted whatever the industry rolled out.

Luckily there are still some developers (mainly PC developers) who can still operate independantly and make games that they want to make. Even though most of those are given budgets by the publishers, they have general freedom on how they want to make the game. However, usually once a development firm is engulfed by a publisher (EA mainly), they are forced to churn out products that stupid consumers like you would just gobble up.

Jesus, and don't give that "I'm only 14 lol" bullshit. What do they teach you in school? It's pathetic.

DRAKE'S A COMMIE!!!

Also, and this isn't me being mean, this is me trying to teach a lesson. You are horribly misguided. If you try to enter the video game industry with that attitude, you'd be laughed no matter how awesome your Carmack-like skills are.

I just thought I'd share a quick example on how monopolies suck: Microsoft. Do you know why IE sucks so much? Because there was no decent competition till Firefox started taking marketshare from them. Now they have announced IE 7 to be released BEFORE Longhorn which was no expected by anyone. The competition forced them to innovate and make a new browswer.

That was kind of harsh, but necessary.

Drake, pay attention when your teachers start talking about Economics - I gaurauntee they'll mention what gryph and others have said.

One of the fundamental rules is: Competition fosters Growth.

Basically, your idea assumes that a company without competitors becomes a benevalent organization with the consumer's interest in mind. In short, this is the opposite of what actually happens, and is contrary to the reasons for acquiring a monopoly.

Pressure to make good products does not, as your theory assumes, come from consumers. Yes, consumers want nice things, but if there is only one thing on the shelf, guess what they're going to buy? You might say "If this happens, then independent game developers will appear and people will buy their things instead." First of all, that's basically the way it is now. Second of all, with a monopoly in the picture, it's a little more complex. Here are some basics:

First, there's money. Making products costs money, especially games. A new company has to get that money from somewhere, and it's going to be a while before they start making returns on their investment. The monopoly, in this case EA, already has more money than they can count, and can easily buy the independent out for more money than the independent could ever hope to make on its own. It's a drop in the bucket for the monopoly, and it ensures that consumers continue to buy their product.

Second, there is a matter of establishment. A monopoly will have its slimy tendrils in all sorts of places that an indepentent needs to be. The most obvious in this case is retail stores. With it's large budget, a monopoly is able to make a much bigger impression on customers, and can secure deals with the retail stores that give its product priority.

Furthermore, a monopoly will have a much stronger stance among the mainstream public. It's pretty well established that people are more likely to go with what they're familiar with than to try something new. Nevermind the scary, scary possibility of owning an entire platform. If EA has exclusive rights to publish on the XBox3, guess whose games XBox3 owners are going to be buying? Not the indepentent's...

For a really good, and obvious example of all this stuff at work, look at Microsoft in the last 10 years or so. They have a really strong, near-monopoly level hold on the PC market. Despite having almost no competition whatsoever, their response to consumer demands is minimal at best. Almost anyone who has ever run a rendition of Windows has had problems on some level, whether it's a random blue screen of death to the operating system itself eventually just dying off. There are alternatives out there, like the various flavors of unix, or BeOS, but still nearly every mainstream user runs Windows anyway. Windows has a deathgrip in terms of establishment - it comes pre-installed with almost every consumer pc, and because everyone already uses it, it's hard to make non-windows computers interface with existing systems. Etc, etc, etc...

It's obvious that Microsoft's hold hasn't made things much better (advancements are mostly in hardware or data-transfer technology, not Operating System), and that an indepentent would have a hell of a time showing up now.

I didn't mean to turn this into an economics lesson, but it's better than just bashing your head in, I figured.

Edited by Daeval

As much as I like EA games, they're getting a bit carried away with all these acuisitions and attempted ones. Was bad enough when I heard that they won the exclusive right to the NFL license, but geez!

Also, I thought i read in my latest Game Informer Mag that EA had already purchased 19% of UbiSoft. I don't have the mag around me right now, so i can't verify it for sure.

As much as I like EA games, they're getting a bit carried away with all these acuisitions and attempted ones. Was bad enough when I heard that they won the exclusive right to the NFL license, but geez!

Also, I thought i read in my latest Game Informer Mag that EA had already purchased 19% of UbiSoft. I don't have the mag around me right now, so i can't verify it for sure.

You could've read the first post to verify that info...