Trouble installing my new mouse :(

Sturmvogel

Well...I got my Logitech mouse I ordered today. Thought it would be simple to install but apparently not. I'm missing a file called "mouhid.sys". Called Logitech tech support and they walked me through some things. Basically the guy told me I need a WinXP OS disc to get that file....but my laptop didn't come with it so.... :)

Anyone know where I can get this file? I tried googling it, and ran into dead ends.

Here, put this in:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Hold up, it won't let me attach.sys. Let me zip it up.

Alright, zipped up. Just put the mouhid.sys in the directory I mentioned.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I just got a new mouse a few days ago, because my old one spoilt. Just that day which I ask about device manager. Using tab to browse internet is hard. Especially reading in a thread with someone winning lots of games in the arcade, have to press tab like hell :)

I have no idea what you just said Samurai. Anyways...it didn't work Gryph :);)

Ok here's what happens:

I plug the mouse into my usb port. The "Found new hardware wizard" pops up. It starts installing then stops with a message saying "The file mouhid.sys on Windows Xp CD-rom is needed." It's the same thing as before. I followed your instructions. I put the mouhid zip file in the drivers folder. What now??

I didn't unzip the contents...just put the file in zipped..that's okay rite?

Edited by Sturmvogel

When that screen comes up, does it give you an option to browse your computer? If so, then browse over to C:\Windows\System\drivers and click on mouhid.sys there.

Also, try this. Unplug the mouse, restart, and then try installing it. Also, make sure you go to Add/Remove Programs to make sure you remove all the rest of the drivers it installed. I just read something about that:

# Make sure a file named mouhid.sys is in the

\windows (or winnt) \system32\drivers folder

* The file will be missing if a USB mouse has never been connected to the system

* If the file is not there, connect a USB mouse to the system or copy mouhid.sys from another system

* Once mouhid.sys is in the proper location, remove and reinstall the touch drivers

Ignore the touch thing, that's just the name of another device but the same principle should apply.

EDIT: I just read your edit. You have to unzip it. I wasn't able to attach a *.sys file so I zipped it. I should have been more clear in my first post, sorry about that.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

No no, don't uninstall anything more. The only thing I said you should uninstall are the mouse drivers that didn't get completely installed. But now it works so leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke. :)

Anyway, congrats on getting it work! Good luck on your arcade mission with it!

No no, don't uninstall anything more. The only thing I said you should uninstall are the mouse drivers that didn't get completely installed. But now it works so leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke. :banghead:

Anyway, congrats on getting it work! Good luck on your arcade mission with it!

Hmm...well it seems like I've encountered another hitch. My comp displays my touch pad as the default mouse. Due to this I think, I can't edit /program my logitech mouse buttons. I was thinking to uninstall the driver for my touchpad and see if that works. But I first created a system restore point...(not sure how to go about reinstalling my touchpad thingy...I just don't want to mess with that.)

This should work me thinks....I hope.