[02/12/05] King of Fighters 2002 and 2003 (PS2)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt that fanboys of the neogeo series would find Kof2k2/2k3 anything new. I being one of them, had these games for ages and played them to death, and my review is my opinion, not general.

NeoGeo dudes have stuck to there oldskool ways while that's good and all, I'm saddened that they couldn't have made a stronger effort to gain home console fans love with maybe newer characters or fighting mechanics.

In respect, Capcom lovers have dominated the market and I truely prefer SNK over their games but I stand alone without too much people who agree with me.

Take for instance SVC Chaos, I thought it was an exceptional fighting game that could've been over the top with the roll or air guard feature. However the Japanese version was a direct port not taking advantage of any of the ps2 capabilities.

It's been out and played to death by me and I hear it's coming to North America soon...will they at least spruce up the character select screen. Newer intro maybe? Endings achievable without perfect wins through arcade mode? Newer characters? New music? Roll/Air Guard?

Nope they just give you the same stuff that you've been playing for ages.

That's why I'm so hard on SNK, no wonder they are getting pwned by Capcom.

Finally picked this up yesterday. I like the new 3d backgrounds very much.

And not to anyone here, but when capcom mixed 2d and 3d its fine but when snk does it, its a big problem? i dont get it.

Because they suck at 3D rendering (holy sheit, have YOU SEEN KOF REBOUT?) It's funny. They can do good 3D and crap 3D it feels like they gave a bunch of people whose first time with a 3D rendering proggy and told them to make pretty sceneary.

Finally picked this up yesterday. I like the new 3d backgrounds very much.

And not to anyone here, but when capcom mixed 2d and 3d its fine but when snk does it, its a big problem? i dont get it.

Because they suck at 3D rendering (holy sheit, have YOU SEEN KOF REBOUT?) It's funny. They can do good 3D and crap 3D it feels like they gave a bunch of people whose first time with a 3D rendering proggy and told them to make pretty sceneary.

Yea, i have seen ReBout and it does look pretty bad. But i think 2003 did a much better job with the backgrounds and it gave the game a slightly more polished feel, just my opinion.

It doesnt look as good as say capcom vs snk 2, but i think it doesnt look nowhere as bad a speople make it out to be. Rebout being an exception.

For those of us that can't afford (won't spend THAT much on) the Neo Geo versions this is great.

Plus I don't think the DC version of KOF2k2 was in english.

I have the roms but I rarely play them. Never even played 2k3 untill this version came out. I just made sure it worked in case I ever needed to rip some sprites or sounds from it. I never was a big emulator fan though in regards to playing games.

Not to mention the fact I am a pretty hardcore 2d fighting game fan. I would obviously give these games an A.

I tend to play capcom titles more but SNK games are a great alternative to capcom's lazyness. And these are 2 of my favorite KOFs.

And yes I hope you 2d fighter fans buy the game. Every little bit could help push SNK into more fighter titles. Without Capcom and with Sammy's long gaps between fighters SNK is all that is left. Import fans can still look forward to Type Moon for the Melty Blood series on occasion too at least.

I always welcome new characters and features. But in the end I am just glad they released the game so more people can play it.

Now if they would start releasing some Samurai Showdown compillations. I never did get around to ordering the import version on Sega Saturn and would love to play SSVsp. Since I'm not motivated to actually search the 10 minutes for the rom and refuse to use my Mame version =P