Guys, help, my dream aint coming true!

Lucandrake

No time like the present to learn the basics.

I was 12 when I started to learn assymbly. Now only if I could spell right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I still remember my first Unreal map I put to gether with UnrealEd...

Two rooms connected with a long wallway with a reflective floor. the first room had the blaster in the middle.

The second had one of those green monsters on the ceiling and 4 blaster upgrades. Masterful lighting too.

I'm 14 emsly, why? Is there something wrong with a 14 year old actually trying to accomplish his life long dream?

WTF...your only 14 and you are worried that you will be to old to become a game developer if you don't become one soon? I don't understand your logic....

Its great that you have the will to accomplish your dream but your making it sound as if your about to die or something...

You still properly haven't hit puberty yet and your already stressing? Man I can just amagine you when you hit high school let alone university....

Your time will come...as the old saying goes Good things come to those that wait

Edited by ForceX

Ok, lets seeeee if I can keep my coherence here.

Mapping in UnrealEd, is the easiest thing ever. along with using static meshs, room size and lighting, along with the ai bot pathing for monsters, it truely kicked ass, then I lost my ut2k4 disc. All the skill went straight to hell!

Download the update for UT2K4, it runs the game without the disc K'Dash, and I'm already in highschool ForceX, and well, I've been thinking about making games since I was about 6 years old...idk why...or how, it's just it's been in my head for so long and never really tryed to go for it..now I do so I can accomplish things at a young age, I don't want to end up rich at the age of 40-60 and not be able to spend the money on things I coulda spended on 20 years earlier...it's just way my head works..

Download the update for UT2K4, it runs the game without the disc K'Dash, and I'm already in highschool ForceX, and well, I've been thinking about making games since I was about 6 years old...idk why...or how, it's just it's been in my head for so long and never really tryed to go for it..now I do so I can accomplish things at a young age, I don't want to end up rich at the age of 40-60 and not be able to spend the money on things I coulda spended on 20 years earlier...it's just way my head works..

I think you have a major misconception that game developers are all young and rich. Not everyone is a Carmack (though they wish they were). I really don't think that's the case, it's only the case if you started game development early on in the business and, made hit games, are more or less independant (even some teams owned by large companies like Bungie), and are one of the founders or main members of your company. I don't think game designers have $100,000+ salaries.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Yeah I think thats the basic salary's for noob developers, and , I don't want to start, damn it! Why does everyone think I want to do this in a year or two , I want to this in a life time!

I said $100,000 is NOT the basic salary of a n00b developer. Most n00b developers work for large publishers like EA and get shat on. PR people make more than the developers.

Yeah I think thats the basic salary's for noob developers, and , I don't want to start, damn it! Why does everyone think I want to do this in a year or two , I want to this in a life time!

Because the way you talk about it gives out the feel that you want to learn everything in a year or two.

In any profession there's a place to start, and more often than not younger the better.

If you are 14 you are not late, although you might want to start with the fundemental skills that lie behind all engineering(includes computer programming) - math. Plan to enjoy AP calculus by your senior year. Also you will want to take SAT II: Math II as well, as it is required by most engineering schools.

Also, the career is quite harsh. In my country, S.Korea, most game developers don't hire programmers unless the programmers make a team and actually come up with a concept AND the fully coded program (game, with graphics and sound).

I cannot confirm you if getting hired as a programmer in US is easier or not, but I do not assume it will be anything near fill-in-your-application-and-you-are-hired kind of thing.

Also, contrary to what our would-be counselor said, you can do anything you want to do as long as you truly work for it.

But, before you delve into any kind of narrow decision, I suggest you look back on yourself. If you are the person who would be happy if you just program without 3 meals a day, go for it. If you like games and programming up to a moderate "I like to do it" sort of 'vague interest', then you might not enjoy your career and your life as a whole.

I know I used some extreme examples, but you get the idea - think again, for the time you spend from your age will not be given again: its by far the most important time of your life.