PS3 Cell specs

Sultan

Sony and EA should just work together so we can get one big, poorly managed, poor-ass quality, ninja disc throwing, products.

Their puny cell processor ain't worth jack yet.

Wait until they show off the real stuff, then everything gets shot to hell right there.

I was looking at some old PS2 tech demos. They were REALLY nice. The quality from tech demo to an actual game has come a long way.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I saw this awhile ago. Interesting part about it (only part i understand) is that it's greater than a 4ghz comp.

I'm more impressed by the simulataneous processing of 10 instruction sequences. But make no mistake, those numbers mean nothing if not properly used. This is the most important line in that entire article "If the performance numbers that Sony, IBM and Toshiba claim are realistic, and more importantly, Cell is reasonable to program for, then we'll be looking at some insanely powerful hardware in the not-too-distant future, including Sony's next-generation console."

Now I'm going to see how big of a threat this is to x86-64. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Intel (and to a lesser degree AMD, they don't have as large an R&D budget) came out with a kind of processor that matches the CELL by the time it comes out. Remember, the first Cell devices should be out mid to late next year.

I was reading the news from today's Cell exposure running at 4.6Ghz, :whew: will it really run this fast in the PS3? Incredible hopefully the 65nm shrinking will help to keep it cool, but I imagine that it won't be a quiet console, unless it used other than conventional cooling.

I think that even if PS3 would run at 3.0Ghz it would compute more than a 7Ghz intel cpu. I don't think there'll be an emulator for this for years to come, lol :whew:

Hey, they might be able to run a PS2 emulator on it. :peopleseybrow:

haha - well it is PS2 compatable isn't it? they don't even need to have a PS1 core - just run thru an emulator :P with better filtering thatn PS2 lol :lol:

maybe an XBOX2 emulator for PS3 - that would be WoOtabolous!!!

Hey, they might be able to run a PS2 emulator on it. :peopleseybrow:

haha - well it is PS2 compatable isn't it? they don't even need to have a PS1 core - just run thru an emulator :P with better filtering thatn PS2 lol :lol:

maybe an XBOX2 emulator for PS3 - that would be WoOtabolous!!!

Why stop there? The wildest expectations of the Cell would have us believe you could emulate an Intel dual-core P4 (which will be what intel is selling when the ps3 hits the market). It should be noted a lot of doubt has been cast on that article I originally posted here that talked about the Cell rivaling supercomputers.

It really does come down to the programming as to whether or not the processor will live up to expectations. The hardware is there, but if you can't break down commands in a way that utilizes all 8 PU's at once, then you're not really going to see the super speeds. I found it interesting that the article mentioned an open source library of C++ functions would be released. This should greatly improve the chances of seeing someone write a compiler and x86 emulator for it that would allow it to compete with PCs by running their software.

I doubt it runs at 4.xxGhz and will go the similar AMD way with lower core speed, yet it yeilds results as good as a 4 GHz P4.

Intel's EM64(You know them, refusing to say "AMD64") could be matched up or better then Cell when they both eventually come out.

I doubt it runs at 4.xxGhz and will go the similar AMD way with lower core speed, yet it yeilds results as good as a 4 GHz P4.

Intel's EM64(You know them, refusing to say "AMD64") could be matched up or better then Cell when they both eventually come out.

Another good article on the Cell at Ars Technica

Slashdot needs to get themselves a Cell tag, they post so many stories about it.