Will they ever cap all ISP ?

emsley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Al Gore is a politician who was helpful in getting the technology needed for the Internet to be funded. I forgot who created ARPANet though.

Got any links sounds like a good read. :peopleseybrow:

Here are the Wikipedia links to ARPANET and Internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Haw, we don't have caps here, at least I don't know of any. :P Companies that try to fight piracy and whatnot should face the music and realize that while they can control it to a degree, they can't stop it.

I give credit for their efforts, even though those efforts are largely pathetic.

Capping would hardly make sense, that's practically a step backwards in everything that's been happening the last few years. Remember back when it was more or less only dialup and you paid for whatever hours a month..basically a cap if you figured the the maximum hours you had and the download speed..blah blah you should get the idea.

Now people more or less are able to leave their connection on 24/7 and you can send/recieve faster than you could when online time was more limited. Hell, even cell phones are like that. When I had just moved out of my parents house at 18, my cell costs a buttload for only 400 minutes a month. Now, here atleast you can get unlimited calling with some carriers for roughly $40/month.

Anyway, capping to get rid of piracy would be the easy and completely uncreative way of getting rid of piracy. But it wouldn't be a permanant fix..even at 50mb a day people will still pirate what they want. Dialup users probably would be fine still in their "illegal" habits..I know I would. In my opinion, in the world of everyone wanting more and more FASTER..capping won't happen. Especially with companies trying to make money now off downloaded media.

Edited by lacien

I don't think they'll cap ISP's in the U.S. As it was mentioned, it wouldn't do to well with some consumers, and the industry can't afford that. Also, the next big thing being on the web will be media content. As in streaming movies, tv etc. A cap would definately effect this...and I don't think ISP's are willing to take that hit.

I don't think a government-level cap would happen in the states, primarily because no one; consumers, tech companies, media providers, etc, would let it happen. As bandwidth is easier to obtain, more and new uses for the internet become available. This means more innovation, new products, and more cash flow. File Sharing is a side effect that will have to be dealt with in its own way.

File Sharing is particularly cool because, I hope, it's going to force companies to think in different ways. Eventually, someone will realize that it will probably be more cost-effective to change the way they distribute than to try and track down everyone who file shares. Valve's Steam (used for Half-Life 2) is an interesting, if sometimes annoying, step in that direction.