[01/10/05] LOTR : Battle for Middle Earth

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The books are very different from the movie, as the following points:

1. In the book, Gandalf appears about 3 times. In the movie, he's basically the main character.

2. Boromir was a man in black hair, not blonde.

3. The Witch-King of Angmar never rode a Fell Beast as a Nazgul.

4. Gandalf's staff was never broken by the Witch-King.

5. Eowyn did not disguise up and ride into battle with the Rohirrim.

6. King Theoden asked Aragorn to take care of Rohan, not his daughter.

7. Witch-King of Angmar was never killed by lady Eowyn, which is inducted from number 3 and 5 nicely.

8. The "Oathbreakers", the ghost army, never helped the humans in their defense of Minas Tirith. The book only mentions their presence.

The funniest thing is, I've never read the book. Just by talking to a few fantasy lovers... lol

Anyways, I found the controls to be nothing of hindrance, any RTS fan should not really - because hotkeys are there to be used. Also, the part of failing to click on a tree or double clicking is a mere mis-click and not really a part of the game's flaws in my opinion, for that never happened to me.

Although I am pretty sure that Rome:Total war and BFME is not comparable, I'm having enough fun out of it. And for me, more epic the better.

What I find to be the major flaw is the lack of unit diversity in strategic point of view (Only the units in the movie made it to the game), and I find Balrog/Oathbreakers too powerful.

Overall, great enjoyable game to relive the epic sensation of the movie (not the book), but nothing to be so seriously discussed about.

Edited by [S4]The Phantom

Anyways, I found the controls to be nothing of hindrance, any RTS fan should not really - because hotkeys are there to be used. Also, the part of failing to click on a tree or double clicking is a mere mis-click and not really a part of the game's flaws in my opinion, for that never happened to me.

Although I am pretty sure that Rome:Total war and BFME is not comparable, I'm having enough fun out of it. And for me, more epic the better.

The Generals' engine isn't made for big battles such as these (To hold that statement, other games such at Rome Total War and the Ground Control series have proven that low requirement computers can still output better then Generals' engine) which is what pisses me off about this game. As another RTS fan, I absolutely hate this game's presents and it doesn't capture the feel for battles of epic proportion most of the time (yet again, compared to GC, R:TW, RA1 and on occasion Starcraft) this feels like nothing.

Why use Generals' obviously inferior engine for a game that represents the movies most greatest, wonderful and outstanding battles.

Tech wise this game goes way down the ladder for me. Controls and functions won't save up for it's poor excuse for an engine.

Edited by K`dash

My, ain't you a grouch? :P

Well, as Phantom has put it nicely, I still enjoy the game much.

I just get Rome: Total War.

I will see what 's the hulabalooo about :D

Pls excuse me as I have soldiers to stomp on. *Roar*

Actually K'Dash's statement is true, but I'm actually comparing this one to the last LOTR RTS they put out with the Battle Realm engine (one used for Warcraft III) which I did not even bother to... ever bother with.

And nobody compares Red Alert with anything :)

But General engine has proved to be quite eye-catching in my experience (with heavy feeling of gravity), especially since the emphasis of the game was on the flashiness of the movie - not for serious gameplay, especially when a common RTS + multiplay means "Mass <insert unit combo> strategy"

Besides, since when did EA care about gamer's needs :D

They made a book out of it?  :)

Red Alert can only be compared to Red Alert 2.  Which is obviously better due to the existance of Yuri.

Yuri exists in RA1. Just not a whole lot :E

They made a book out of it?  :rolleyes:

Red Alert can only be compared to Red Alert 2.  Which is obviously better due to the existance of Yuri.

Dunno, although the game speed was wierd. It was either too fast or too slow for me.

Kirovs were awesome, though.

But, mind-control still doesn't feel like RA universe in my opinion.