Is it worth spending this much on a laptop

I was thinking of getting an Alienware laptop (Area-51m 7700) that I won't go online with. If by chance I do go online (Extremely slim.) I definately won't use any P2P programs. Maybe just to play FF11.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of getting an Alienware laptop (Area-51m 7700) that I won't go online with. If by chance I do go online (Extremely slim.) I definately won't use any P2P programs. Maybe just to play FF11.

Damn, those things are badass. Pretty big and heavy though, I think about 14 lbs. That thing transcends normal laptop-ness with it's desktop components. What's the battery life on that thing?

Damn, those things are badass. Pretty big and heavy though, I think about 14 lbs. That thing transcends normal laptop-ness with it's desktop components. What's the battery life on that thing?

Yeah...you guys thing 10lbs would be to heavy? That's the weight (acutally 9.9 hehehe) of those laptops I'm looking at.

Okay...thanks. Those two laptops are virtually similar...except that the more pricey one can burn DVD-RAM. I'll have to think about it...that's alot of money to be spending hehhe. Thanks for the advice though. :banghead:

What is DVD-Ram?

DVD-RAM is more of a removable storage device for computers than a video recording format, although it has become widely used in DVD video recorders because of the flexibility it provides in editing a recording. The other two recordable format families (DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW) are essentially in competition with each other. The market will determine which of them succeeds or if they end up coexisting or merging.  There are many claims that one or the other format is better, but they are actually very similar. In 2003 many companies began making drives that could record in both "dash" and "plus" format.

mmm 1500 bucks are not that much, it depedns on what would you like to use the computer for but it goes like this, if what you need is portability and/or something that doesn't take muc space go for a laptop, if you are after power you for a desktop, even when it oculd be accomplished, laptops are not for gaming they were thought for a totally different thing and you should get a decent brand new laptop for about 700/800 dollars, but then again it depends on what you are looking for

mmm 1500 bucks are not that much, it depedns on what would you like to use the computer for but it goes like this, if what you need is portability and/or something that doesn't take muc space go for a laptop, if you are after power you for a desktop, even when it oculd be accomplished, laptops are not for gaming they were thought for a totally different thing and you should get a decent brand new laptop for about 700/800 dollars, but then again it depends on what you are looking for

Here's what I'm looking for in a computer Alexis:

2.8mhz processor or higher

512mb of RAM installed

Graphics Card- a low end ATI will do

DVD+-RW/CD-RW Combo

And the fact that I will have cheap wireless LAN at school makes me lean toward a laptop. And you won't find one with the specs I listed for $700-800. I'm in this for the long haul as well.