Garbage windows...

esoteric

this is the 3rd windows install that went to garbage this year i treat them differently and they all come out the same, complete and utter garbage

right now i am having a list of problems that i cannot figure out how to solve so i would appreciate input:

1. ftp clients work HORRIBLY on this computer, they crash, they dont connect, they lockup and use all of my resources, etc...

2. i CANNOT goto.tk sites PERIOD it doesnt work on this computer

3. sites (like this one) occasionally stop working until i restart my browser

4. i cant host a god damned thing on this computer

5. trillian stays logged into accounts but i cannot recieve messages (this happens ALOT)

6. i also have connection problems with ALOT of games and stuff like teamspeak like i LAAAAAAAG or it doesnt connect or i disconnect every so often

7. a host of other problems i cannot think of at this moment

i am thinking of switching to linux but im not sure which distro to get (yeah i have some mandrake and knoppix experience, dunno how far it will take me tho)

Edited by esoteric

Forgive me for not contributing much to help you out, but daqmn, that's one f*ucked up computer you have there...

In any case, do you have an intergrated ethernet card? Was there any problems with the Windows install or device management?

umm well not 100% but it has the highest detection rate of the virus scans out right now and i guess it could be my connection it does all of that except for the hosting thing and some other stuff i cant think of i ahve cable and i have a us robotics usr 8003 router

umm well not 100% but it has the highest detection rate of the virus scans out right now and i guess it could be my connection it does all of that except for the hosting thing and some other stuff i cant think of i ahve cable and i have a us robotics usr 8003 router

The hosting stuff, if you're referring to hosting games and things over the internet, is also if not especially related to your connection. :shootem:

The vast majority of that stuff could be caused by your router if it isn't set up properly, a poorly configured software firewall such as zonealarm, or even the Windows XP firewall if you're using that (you may not even KNOW you're using that, it's sneaky). You need to get the right ports forwarded and triggered for different programs.

The FTP program issue could be the programs responding ungracefully because they can't get through port 21 (I think it's 21 for FTP, it's been a while). Other than that, I can't think of anything that would cause multiple FTP programs to screw up.

The.tk thing is odd, but might have to do with a bad hosts file somewhere on your system. Try traceroute-ing to a.tk and see what happens.

At any rate, none of the things you listed sound like the telltale symptoms of a windows install gone rogue. It sounds more like your internet connection is f-ed up somewhere along the line to me.

well see, none of this was happening until about 2 months into this windows installations life (except the hosting thing but i understand that, this computer isnt the WAN on my network) and thanks for your input and i tried alot of stuff and the.tk thing is weird its like.tk doesnt exist i try pinging.tk stuff i try connecting i try using proxies, NOTHING no results its just like no.tk domains exist