Tsunami hits southern coast of Asia

Sturmvogel

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, noone was expecting it. It hit about 10 in the morning, when tourists where just coming out of hotels, or still sleeping in from Xmas parties. The waves generated by the underwater earthquake were at speeds of 500 - 600 km per hour, so there was very little time for reaction. Some of the waves were apparently 10 metres high, too.

Edited by Chaotica

Yes, that has been quite lucky. Now the great fear is spread of disease. Dirty water is everywhere. When I say dirty, I mean sea water with bodies floating in it, dirt, and sewage. There is no fresh water to drink or wash in. With all the dirty water about, diseases such as diahorrea (sp?), cholera and dysentry can spread very quickly. Disease can also be spread from rotting bodies, if they aren't disposed of quickly enough. The whole thing is surreal.

Sri Lanka was the worst hit area. Second is Phuket.

Some more, it came during Christmas time. A lot of people was having vacation at Phuket :P

It is just mind shattering how this has all come about. This is truly mass genocide. Estimated over 80,000 have died and the count is still rising. Please try and help out if you can. You can't help but feel for those suffering in southeast Asia.

Genocide is definitely the wrong word to use here, this is a natural catastrophe. And the death toll is now upwards of 114,000. Yesterday my parents donated $100 to the Red Cross so hopefully that will be put to good use.

Genocide is definitely the wrong word to use here, this is a natural catastrophe. And the death toll is now upwards of 114,000. Yesterday my parents donated $100 to the Red Cross so hopefully that will be put to good use.

USA Today has it at 117,000 now. And the harbringer of death thread rolls on. If I could I'd go their myself and help but I can't. Meh, as sad as it is, life goes on for the rest of us */me goes back to fragging Russian soldiers in MGS3*

Dang. How did this happen?

There was a 9.0 magnitude underwater earthquake in the Indian Ocean that caused this.

What's 9.0? How strong is that?

9.0 is VERY strong. It's out of a 10 scale so try to imagine an earthquake that is almost highest possible.

Check the table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_scale