how hard is it to sub an anime?

Ryuken

i don't know how hard it is, cuz some sub group takes so long to sub an anime, but i know nuthin about subbing but do they do it fram by fram?? do they use a program, also mods can move this to the pc section if needed

I'd imagine it's pretty tough, and time-consuming. You've obviously got to have a good grasp of both Japanese and English, including colloquialisms and preferably in both languages. They've also got to have the video-capturing hardware/software set up to digitize a show (assuming it's one of the ones that air on TV). I would assume they then watch the show a few times and transcribe a script, either in the native Japanese first or possibly straight to the translated English, and possibly with notes on timing. Then they've got to put the text over the show. With modern video editing software, like Adobe Premier, I doubt that they would have to do this frame by frame, but I don't know what tools are popular among subbers. Even with a tool that could do it accross frames, they would then have to spend a lot of time matching start and end times for a particular subtitle with the spoken words. I think someone is usually credited as the person who does this on a team, so it's probably a signficant chunk of the work. And then there's relatively little things like translating signs as they appear or watching the show a few times over to make sure everything came out right.

All in all, it's more trouble than I'd be willing to go to, but more power to them for doing it. I know I appreciate it, however long it takes 'em.

other than the progress on quality imaging..

It kinda vary in process, the translator of course, AH or aka Dabatteyo pull a fast one because their sub is as close as quality as ANBU/AonE but lack in translation due to the translator's typo here and there.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of "difficulty" per se, as much as a matter of sheer workload. To do it well anyway.

And as for the two screens, most good video editing software will handle this type of thing, but... You probably wouldn't be entering the subtitles in real-time, so you'd just have to enter them where you wanted them while the movie wasn't running, and then watch it to see if the line came up when it was supposed to. Imagine doing that for EVERY dialogue in a half hour show... oy..

I'm pretty sure they use some kind of advanced timing tools since those are available.

Like what, out of curiosity? I always wondered if they had fancy things like that..

I can't name any, but I know for sure that there are such.