Africa and the AIDS epidemic

emsley

Ok, I'll try to clear some confusion up and not add more to it.

Meh who cares about the epidemic over there? As whoever mentioned the condoms said, theyre not doing anything to help it. And if they dont do anything, nothing can be done about it. Sad but true. As for the virgin bit, thats just plain stupid.

Take a look at these numbers, if we don't control it now it has the potential to become a major pandemic. Who cares about the epidemic there? Anyone who wants to see this disease eradicated all around the world. I got this picture from a slide show presentation by UNIAIDS. You can view it here: http://www.unaids.org/wad2004/epi_graphics.html

aidsworldwide4dt.png

There's a difference between building up an immunity and evolving. We've built up immunities to plenty of diseases, from the common cold upwards, and in mere generations to boot.

The converse is also true which is far more unsettling. SARS and that avian flu are perfect examples. Hell, SARS is in the same family as the common cold (coronavirus).

Because Bush is promoting the absolute worst and most ineffective method of sex education in a place where MILLIONS of people are dying from a deadly STD, THAT'S why he's getting blamed for it!

The AIDS epidemic was there before Bush even got into office. Also, a lot of the AIDS funding and prevention stuff is done by private organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

AIDS originated in Africa didn't it?  When men were flocking monkeys or something?  I heard something like that during a debate on homosexuality.

I don't know how we can expect to stop it.  We can't just pay people with it to not have sex anymore, it wouldn't work.  Aids can't be detected immediately, not for some time iirc.

Ahahaha, the ol' men flocking monkeys story. It was most probably transmitted by hunters eating infected monkeys. I'll spare the scientific jargon and say that HIV (human immunodefiency virus) is almost definitely a descendant of a SIV (simian immunodefiency virus) found in chimpanzees because they are almost identical.

Yes it seems some monkey virus transferred to humans. Now how could that happen unless someone did weird sh*it?? Anyway there are far too many humans on this planet, it's about time some epidemic cleaned out most of them...us. If it's not aids, then it's some tribal war, or a famine, or some other human-induced tragedy.

http://www.careusa.org/newsroom/specialrep...frica/index.asp

Yeah, there are usually cycles of diseases that keep the human population in check but since we are getting more and more technologically advanced and living longer there are going to be more of us. But many people think it's going to be a quick acting flu like virus that will do something like that, not HIV.

Well, its kinda pointless not to think about it, but also if we do because we have no power, unless all of us sighn a petition and are over 18 years of age (Wich I'm not) , so yeah, basicly all we can do is become the audience as the path for africa is chosen by ethier higher power or as in the bible notes, god.

Every voice is important. Even though most people don't have power, it's important to discuss since the future doctors and scientists of the world (which I will be) need to be well versed in such matters.

as far as i know the US started playing with that virus on a lab, the virus got out and screwed everybody

and yes it is form a monkey, and people f*cking monkeys sounds very ignorant, althought one never knows

I love that conspiracy theory. Well it's not true.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a few weeks back two women in China were found to be immune to HIV.

Interesting. They 'R immune to HIV, but can they transmit it by sexual or blood way ?

I don't know the specifics of it but I don't think they actually have HIV. I found the article: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2...tent_379267.htm

In Ur article they only say they can't contract it :

Zhu explained that the immune systems of some individuals may be capable of resisting HIV infection. These individuals who do not appear to be infected with HIV despite multiple sexual encounters with HIV infected partners are referred to as exposed seronegatives (ES).

In Africa, HIV appeared the 1st time in 1956 in Belgian Congo when the poliomyelitis vaccine campaign started. HIV was present in the vaccine they inoculated to people.

In Ur article they only say they can't contract it :

Zhu explained that the immune systems of some individuals may be capable of resisting HIV infection. These individuals who do not appear to be infected with HIV despite multiple sexual encounters with HIV infected partners are referred to as exposed seronegatives (ES).

In Africa, HIV appeared the 1st time in 1956 in Belgian Congo when the poliomyelitis vaccine campaign started. HIV was present in the vaccine they inoculated to people.

Actually they did studies on a sample of that vaccine and no trace is HIV or SIM were found in it. I just did a quick Google search and came across this site which gives a good summary on the origin of HIV: http://www.avert.org/origins.htm

EDIT: The article says that they have a mutant gene which makes them immune to it.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Thx for the link, Gryphon. In Ur 2nd article they mention what I've said in my previous post :

The journalist Edward Hooper has suggested that HIV could be traced to the testing of an oral polio vaccine called Chat as batches of the Chat vaccine may have been grown in chimp kidney cells in the Congo, the Wistar Institute and Belgium. That could have resulted in the contamination of the vaccine with chimp SIV, the simian version of HIV-1. This vaccine was then given to about a million people in the Belgian Congo, Ruanda and Urundi in the late 1950s.

This 's worrying :

The researchers concluded that HIV could have crossed over from chimpanzees as a result of a human killing a chimp and eating it for food.

Everybody chill, i have the power.

i can fix aids.

Please send me one buck to monoxideviper@hotmail.com.

Lol. emsley to the resque, eh? ;) I didn't know you brits had such awesome powers.

I dont have any powers i just want a couple of bucks.

Dammit!! The money is already in the mail! You trickster!

We've been had.

emsley, would you settle things if we offered you a few pints of beer?