New to the Xbox Emulation scene

Ultron

well you need a modchip installed or a softmod. but I dun know much about those exept most use a glitch in mechassualt or 007 aof saves. other then that a bigger harddrive comes in handy for putting the emus and roms on the hard drive. a good place to start is www.xbox-scene.com lots of faqs and tutorials there. first thing is to find out what version xbox you have then you can choose a chip or softmod from there.

Bear in mind though if you do upgrade your hdd then you will most likely not be able to play Xbox Live.

If you do then you can either swap the hdds around when u want to play Live or if you haven't signed up for Live then you must change your hdd first then you should be OK. If you don't use Live then it don't matter. Whatever the case.. upgrading your hdd is the best thing you could do with your box, cuts down on the load times quite a lot and you can save backup copies of your originals to keep them in mint condition.

:)

soft mod? like so i don't have to open my xbox up and mess with its innards? casue i want to avoid that if at all possible... even if its somone else doing it.

Exactly. Everything is done by software. There are a lot of different softmods you can use. Some are easier than others, and some allow you to use Xbox Live.

well most of the xbl bans are based on the eeprom not matching the key as when you signed up to xbl.

to make it simple: if you signed up for xbl when you had the original hdd but then went to a bigger hdd = ban

but if you signed up to xbl with the bigger hdd, you should be ok.