What did you play most recently?

Gryph

But you only know the what the native language of the film is because you just know already. What if an anime was made in English let's say and then dubbed into Japanese. Then I show you the Japanese version, followed by the 'native' English dub. You would never know that it was originally an English production unless I had told you.

True, but there aren't any natively English anime. :D But you do have a point, I would never know.

By that rationale, anyone who doesn't speak English is not getting the full benefit of films then - eg. Godfather or Home Alone - because they aren't watching them in their native language?

Depends on the quality of quality of the translation and the competence of the voice actors.

And, what difference does it make if the original language sounds more natural if you are reading the subtitles in order to understand it anyway?

This has more to do with knowing that the anime is of japanese (or korean) origin, and comparing the English dub to the original version. Listening the original version is also a way for me to judge the overall quality of the translation, and how it fits to what is being said on screen. I don't know, maybe I'm just somewhat biased, because I've grown up watching subtitled foreign shows, japanese or otherwise.

Granted, some English dubs are excellent.

Of course, for the Joe Average, what they see is more important than what they hear, so to them this doesn't make any difference.

It is much harder to tell poorer voice acting for me if it isn't in English, I don't know why, but it is. I will say that I don't think I have been able to watch an English dub after I have watched the Japanese original. But I think this is because I already have that character's voice in my head, even if I can't understand a word of it. Only exceptions were a couple of the Ghibli animes, Nausicaa and Mononoke IIRC.

Same here, although I can hear the poor japanese ones as well; mostly those whose voice really doesn't match the character.

Oh and back OT, I was playing some buggy-as-hell RTS called XIII : Death or Glory. Crashed that much I can't give an honest opinion of it!

Yes, back on-topic.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in a retro gaming binge... I'm working still on Game Boy Wars 2. Which looks like Advance Wars granddaddy. It's not as fun but the strategy element is still in there. Although I dislike the computers overpower tactics instead of finding a better path.

Go even further retro and try Famicom Wars on the NES/Famicom

That's the first one I tried, The computers really cheap in it though :)

Thanks :D I think I saw a translated version of it somewhere :D I'll give it a try. I also want to try the robot war games. I sure it's very similar play.

Replaying Fatal Frame 2 on X360. FInally, with Agozer's tips, managed to find one particular closet where the girl in red kimono is hiding. That was a two years delay from my PS2 years :( Thanks, Agozer.