DS or PSP

Mag

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the battery issue has been solved, Sony saids up to 6 hours of game play, thats very decent, I mean who the heck play handheld for 6 hours long, thats rarely said.

Look:

from GameSpot:

The PSP's battery life has been the subject of much speculation. After having spent some time with a PSP, a couple of games, and a demo disc that essentially serves as a movie, there's a few things we know.

Sony has rated the battery life to be around the six hour mark when playing games. So far, that seems to be accurate. Games--at least the ones we've seen so far--seem to be pretty good about only spinning the disc when needed. Movies, however, are streaming off the disc at a pretty constant rate, so it seems like you'll get less movie time than game time, but exactly how much less is a little tougher to figure. I would also imagine that the lower power requirements of reading the memory stick means that movies playing off of a stick wouldn't take as much as reading a movie from a UMD. We'll be putting that to the test soon.

The PSP has a pretty detailed battery info screen. Here, it gives you the remaining juice as a percentage, and as an hours/minutes calculation. That number can change pretty wildly depending on what you've been doing, but... well... yeah, it doesn't take much juice for the system to display the battery information screen.

Charging the unit from 0 to 100 percent took us just under two hours, and that includes about 20 minutes of playtime. The system seems to keep charging even if you're using it, though I'd imagine that would slow the charging down at least a little bit.

Extra batteries are running somewhere around the $30 range, I believe. While I wouldn't normally indulge in something like extra rechargable batteries for a handheld system, the flight from Tokyo to San Francisco is around nine or ten hours in length. So yeah, I'll need at least one spare. As for you, the question to ask is... do you really play portable games for over six hours in a stretch? I rarely do... this flight is one of the few exceptions that puts me without a power outlet for an extended period of time.

So far, the PSP is pretty impressive. The games are a lot of fun, the system's design is really solid, and overall, it just fits in your hands properly. It feels right. There's a lot to be said for the way a controller, handheld or otherwise, fits in your hands. The system will officially launch in between 24 and 28 hours, depending on which Japanese retail store you choose to line up at. When that happens, we'll have more to play and more to say.

as much as i would like to support nintendo, Their hardware is significantly weaker than sonys, which i can overlook, power isnt everything, but what kills DS for me, Is the games, all of them are weak, im probably going to get Metroid and Mario, but what else is there? Feel the magic XXYY or whatever looks cool, but not anything mindblowing.

Mario Kart is in the works, so as Sonic, and Final fantasy, and so on.

The point is, Nintendo just made a bad startout, I'm sure they will improve over the times.

I got my information from people who bought the system today on various bbs boards, such as mmcafe, 2ch and 4ch. Gamespot goes either way, they suck anyways, along with IGN, go go Play Magazine and japanese bbses!

nDS over here got a crappy selection of launch titles, the Japanese launch titles seemed more interesting.

And RR still sucks.

i think i'm gonna get the PSP even if shonen jump all star is for DS cuz there's gonna be other good games for the PSP