bsnes Updated

olaf

The slowly but surely developing bsnes was updated yesterday, below is what the emulator's author posted in his log for this update.

- Doubled the width of sprites when the width of the screen is 512. The SNES Test Program now runs through all of the character test correctly. The windows are off-by-one though

- Added the very bizarre 00:4300-00:437f memory region that is unique from 7e:4300-7e:437f. Then I added read support from $2180. This allowed the SNES Test Program to not crash after failing the electronics test, and it also fixed the horrible graphics corruption in Der Langrisser.

- The fonts were still failing, so I went in with my tracer and found out what was causing it. The following code:

gx816->regs.pc += (signed char)(arg + 2);

This is the code used to increment the pc counter after relative branches. The problem is that I had parinthesis around the + 2 as well as arg. Therefore, if arg was 0x7e, 0x7f, 0xfe, or 0xff, it would change the sign. This would in turn make the program counter off by 256 bytes. Very bad. Fixing this fixed the font in Der Langrisser, and also fixed Super Mario World, when Yoshi spits a turtle out, the game will no longer crash.

- Next, via the Der Langrisser world map, I realized that anomie's description of the BG/mode7 register latches was reversed: the BG registers (may) share a common latch between all of them, but the mode7 registers do not. I removed the common latches from the mode7 regs, but I haven't added the latch to the BG registers yet.

- I also realized that clearing the entire screen on a BG mode change would probably not be a good thing for games that change video modes mid-frame. So I tried working on getting the weird single-frame garble that pops up every minute or so to go away, but to no avail. I'm having a difficult time tracking down the exact cause of the error, but I believe it to be a buffer overflow, or something along those lines.

- Official Homepage

Edited by olaf