Survey:Net filesharing doesn't hurt most musicians

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Most musicians and artists say the Internet has helped them make more money from their work despite online file-trading services that allow users to copy songs and other material for free, according to a study released Sunday.

Recording labels and movie studios have hired phalanxes of lawyers to pursue "peer to peer" networks like Kazaa, and have sued thousands of individuals who distribute copyrighted material through such networks.

But most of the artists surveyed by the nonprofit Pew Internet and American Life Project said online file sharing did not concern them much.

Artists were split on the merits of peer-to-peer networks, with 47 percent saying that they prevent artists from earning royalties for their work and another 43 percent saying they helped promote and distribute their material.

But two-thirds of those surveyed said file sharing posed little threat to them, and less than one-third of those surveyed said file sharing was a major threat to creative industries.

Only 3 percent said the Internet hurt their ability to protect their creative works.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/0...reut/index.html

Edited by Xx1LLMAT1CxX

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally this bit of news reaches the mainstream media. Articles like this have been on Slashdot for a long time. :(

I don't read SlashDot , but I was still aware of this article's existence (and similar ones). :P

Most sensible people download music and if they like them they buy it.

Like I might buy the weezer albums bcuz I just like them and they have good songs and I'll support them

same here but too bad most people that download songs don't buy the cd even if they like it

Like I might buy the weezer albums bcuz I just like them and they have good songs and I'll support them

same here but too bad most people that download songs don't buy the cd even if they like it

Well a surprising amount of people do. Its same philosophy as games. many ppl download games, but hell they buy it if they like it. Even Deviance and Razer buy the games with their own money. Its just to support the game and also to get a cd key.

Plus downloading doesn't mean that it will always be in the bestest quality :P

Well a surprising amount of people do. Its same philosophy as games. many ppl download games, but hell they buy it if they like it. Even Deviance and Razer buy the games with their own money. Its just to support the game and also to get a cd key.

Plus downloading doesn't mean that it will always be in the bestest quality :P

Hmm...really, that's interesting. I'd never have guessed that they'd be buying legitimate copies.