Running M.U.G.E.N. Dos in Windows XP Pro

donopatay

I don't know if this will work for everyone but it sure did work for me. :unsure: The only thing you have to do is to set which VESA mode M.U.G.E.N. will use. Vesa 1 and Vesa 2 - banked mode will work fine but Vesa 3 and Vesa 2 - Linear mode won't work. In order to do this you have to edit mugen.cfg which commonly resides in the data folder and find the line "Vesamode" then change its value to the corresponding values "1" for VESA 1, "Linear" for Vesa 2 Linear mode, "Banked" for Vesa 2 banked mode, "3" for Vesa 3 or you could use an application called "MWC" or "Mugen Windows Configurator" you can get it at here http://www.bytezero.cjb.net/. One thing about this method is that the game speed may be greatly slowed especially in newer video cards. :( I found out about this while recently switching into an Windows XP Pro OS and being greatly disappointed trying to find M.U.G.E.N for Windows and then fiddled with the configuration but alas! I was able to run it in XP. :rolleyes: By the way, here is the system specs I am using Pentium III 600 Mhz, 128mb ram, built in SIS 530/620 video card, CMI 8738 audio card, 10 GB harddisk. Windows XP Professional OS. Yep, I'm using a nearly obsolete unit but it still serves my purposes. :P

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if this will work for everyone but it sure did work for me. :lol:  The only thing you have to do is to set which VESA mode M.U.G.E.N. will use. Vesa 1 and Vesa 2 - banked mode will work fine but Vesa 3 and Vesa 2 - Linear mode won't work. In order to do this you have to edit mugen.cfg which commonly resides in the data folder and find the line "Vesamode" then change its value to the corresponding values "1" for VESA 1,  "Linear" for Vesa 2 Linear mode, "Banked" for Vesa 2 banked mode, "3" for Vesa 3 or you could use an application called "MWC" or "Mugen Windows Configurator" you can get it at here http://www.bytezero.cjb.net/. One thing about this method is that the game speed may be greatly slowed especially in newer video cards. :(  I found out about this while recently switching into an Windows XP Pro OS and being greatly disappointed trying to find M.U.G.E.N for Windows and then fiddled with the configuration but alas! I was able to run it in XP. :)  By the way, here is the system specs I am using  Pentium III 600 Mhz, 128mb ram, built in SIS 530/620 video card, CMI 8738 audio card, 10 GB harddisk. Windows XP Professional OS. Yep, I'm using a nearly obsolete unit but it still serves my purposes. :lol:

if it is still usefulto you then it is not obsolete :) sorry but i do not quite understand which is the problem you are talking about, I mean i know you are posting some kind of Fix, but for what?