Brain electrodes help patients play video games

Gryph

http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/dec04/281287.asp

Very very interesting stuff. It seems that some people at the University of Wisconsin at Madison (awesome school for research) have been able to able to control a simple game just by thinking about it. While this is cool for the gaming aspect, this could be especially more important in medical field application. Here's a little snipett:

http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/dec04/281287.asp[/url]']With electrodes implanted directly on their brains, two Madison patients were able to control a computer cursor and play a basic video game just by thinking about it.

The accomplishment highlights an amazing new technology that in the last year has created the distinct possibility that severely disabled people may soon be able to communicate and even regain movement by tapping directly into the brain and training it to bypass damaged nerve cells.

....ohh man, the possibilities

with all the conservatism in the u.s gov. atm, I seriously doubt this will be released here

or at least not the jap version where they'll probably make hentai games or something

thats pretty cool but kind of cheap. I think pressing buttons would be faster than a thinking person would so that might be a small disadvantage.

Actually, pressing buttons by just thinking about what to do would be quicker than pressing buttons with your fingers. Because when you press a button with your fingers, your brain has to think about what button to push, then the impulse has to travel all the way down to your fingers so you press that button. Doing it with your mind would be much faster.

That's cool - i wonder where they found the human subjects, because they had already tried it with animals (researchers - probably at Madison - got pigs to play simple games both with a joystick and their minds) but it seems complex. From what i remember of psychobiology the motor cortex and its functions can vary from person to person, so where do the electrodes go?