Audio problems

Alright, computer running again. Everything's fine...except I still have no sound. I've got them plugged in in the correct places, I've got a driver installed... The speakers themselves are plug and play, they're new, they work with my iRiver, but I get no PC sound. I long await a llama whippin' intro...

Edited by LordKanti

Sure you checked ALL the volume settings in the software mixer?

On the wierd occasion, Windows goes and mutes my PCM output (WAV/MP3) and I'm like "WTF!" checking my reciever and all my speakers/woofer for anything unplugged.

Sure you checked ALL the volume settings in the software mixer?

On the wierd occasion, Windows goes and mutes my PCM output (WAV/MP3) and I'm like "WTF!" checking my reciever and all my speakers/woofer for anything unplugged.

Well, all right, back up, where's the software mixer? I checked everything in the audio device section of the control panel and, of course, the master volume controls.

Edited by LordKanti

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume Tab >Device Volume (Part of previous tab, ADVANCED button)

This is your "mixer" provided as default by Windows, rather than say the nicer mixer one gets with the software for their sound card.

If you don't see "Wave/MP3" in the mixer, click on Options > Properties and check the appropriate box (It may be called PCM, it may be called WAVE). After doing so, or if it's already there, make sure it isn't muted.

So am I......

The only thing I can suggest at this point is trying different drivers (newer ones if possible, older ones if not)

As well as checking in the Device Manager to make sure the sound card isn't disabled or has a problem.

I had Jack, my personal IT pro, come take a look at it.

Turns out my old speakers fried the audio jack, so I have to use secondary audio now. He says there's an echo, as if I'm in a metal room, but it sounds fine to me.

Thanks for your help. Regardless of whether it was relevent or not. :)