Sony IBM Unveil PS3 Engine

they're using it for PCs too??

I don't see why they wouldn't extend its benefits to all electronics. It's not like this processor is PS3 exclusive. Sony might use it in their own PCs kind of like how Macs use an IBM chip. But I don't know if it will be available for the public like AMDs and Intels are but I want to know how they stack up. Both of those companies are also working on next gen multi-core processors.

I think they're going to use this processor as a way to converge a whole bunch of consumer electronics. Hell, they just might slap a keyboard and mouse with a PS3 and sell it as a PC. Apparantly this CELL processor can use multiple OSes at once, the application of that is yet to be seen.

I can think of one very important application for multiple OSes at once - emulating the ps2 so there'll be backwards compatibility.

And Axl, why on earth do you hope the ps3 fails? Would you rather Micro$oft succeed with their xbox-next? Well not me! I hope the xbox-next fails.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the CELL chip is not only for PS3, they plan to use it in everything. It's going to be used in a lot of things... but I'm wondering how it will be used in the PC realm and what Intel and AMD have to combat this. This promise of great bus bandwidth and multithreading and multicore architecture sounds pretty damn impressive. But seriously, how much better can it be that other processors...

It seems to be focused on broadband but not everyone has it yet.

Well that's kinda what I meant.. That they bothered to create a new kind of chip, and what kinds of things might come of that. That's what I like, not just that they made it for PS3. New directions are good, or at least interesting, things.

To me, if the PS3 can't pull off PS2 emulation, since it is much different architecture than its lil' bro, it will be worthless. It is almost known that XBOX2 will be backwards compatible with the original XBOX.

PS3 has yet to show me what it needs to conquer XBOX2. No PS & PS2 support on the PS3 = its death.

Anon.

To me, if the PS3 can't pull off PS2 emulation, since it is much different architecture than its lil' bro, it will be worthless. It is almost known that XBOX2 will be backwards compatible with the original XBOX.

PS3 has yet to show me what it needs to conquer XBOX2. No PS & PS2 support on the PS3 = its death.

Anon.

uh when did they say the xbox2 will be capatible with the old xbox? from what i read thats not true at all. Personly i think this whole backward crap is dumb as hell.... I could care less about playing xbox games when i get my xbox 2. If i did own a ps2 system( which i dont) i doubt id bother playing one ps1 game... The whole idea of buying a new system is for new games id rather them throw out the old game crap and make it cheaper. I mean do u buy a kick ass computer so u can play games that came out 5 years ago on the pc? no cause u got it for new crap. ( well and emulation... but thats a different story :lol: )

Anyways im still hoping for xbox2 to stomp sonys ass in the next round of consoles ;). I think xbox live is great and im sure they will just add to it on the next system... but im also sure ps3 will pull a xbox live clone out of its ass.

lol is anyone even paying attention to nintendos next console?

Edited by Bluestinger X

Sony has out a lot of effort into emulation the PS2 on PS3 from what I've read. I think they know that if they can't pull it off good enough, teyll alienate a lot of PlayStation fans.