The Fall of the American Empire

random guy

My World History class has been studying Rome, or more specifically, the similarities between Rome and America, and we're starting to gain some of the same characteristics as pre-destruction Rome.

1. The lack of the things we say we stand for.

2. Violent sports to keep the masses from criticizing the government.

3. A government ruled by the rich, rather than those with good ideas.

And that's not all either, there're a lot of similarities. What do the rest of you think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My World History class has been studying Rome, or more specifically, the similarities between Rome and America, and we're starting to gain some of the same characteristics as pre-destruction Rome.

1. The lack of the things we say we stand for.

2. Violent sports to keep the masses from criticizing the government.

3. A government ruled by the rich, rather than those with good ideas.

And that's not all either, there're a lot of similarities. What do the rest of you think?

Yeah, we had a discussion like that History 101 when we covered Rome. We also drew some parallels between pre-Nazi Germany and present day America.

I reject you reality and sustitute it with my own.

everything is fine, america pwns

Somehow, in some way, America always seems to do a miracle in the 9th inning...

I hate America as much as the next guy... *caugh*Random*caugh*... but I know its reseliency to even considering defeat. After all of its assasinations, its corruption, its general tainting of good in the world, I am sure as hell sure that they will pull something to get out of this hole, however insanely huge it may be.

If best comes to best, and America does in fact get crippled, it will probably in about 10 years and by then, I will be teaching English in Japan; the only country, that isn't crippled by U.S. dismemberment.

Anon.

Somehow I think that without America, English will be a less required language. French, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, plenty of other languages become instantly more important after America's gone. Seriously, what companies are British? Anyone know?

English has actually been the unofficial language of trade for centuries longer than America was around (I think anyway). The real reason for the long spread of the English language was that the British were once the dominating empire, and for the British not speaking English was sinonymous to stupidity. You can notice the dregs of that habit which lie in the consciousness of British tourists - if they ask a foreigner something in English and they don't understand, their immediate reaction is to say the same thing in English, just louder and more slowly.

English has actually been the unofficial language of trade for centuries longer than America was around (I think anyway). The real reason for the long spread of the English language was that the British were once the dominating empire, and for the British not speaking English was sinonymous to stupidity. You can notice the dregs of that habit which lie in the consciousness of British tourists - if they ask a foreigner something in English and they don't understand, their immediate reaction is to say the same thing in English, just louder and more slowly.

I never did understand why people did that. Though I'd probobly do it myself given the same situation. I guess if you apply some mock sign language to it you're sort of teaching them English.

lol whats funny is many asian cultures know english these days but cant understand a damn word a brittish person says. I remeber i was talking to this korean girl and she was like wtf is wrong with his english... and brittish call it propper english... pfft

Edited by Bluestinger X