This is it for meh!

Sturmvogel

Well, as some of you may know I've been on the hunt for a decent laptop to replace my crappy six year IBM desktop. I've narrowed my choices down to three laptops (really just the $1051 and $1208). I will post a link below that shows a side by side comparison of the complete specs for the laptops.

The two I'm really looking at ($1051 and $1208) are very similar. I've talked it over with Garageink at the 1emu IRC channel, and he thinks I should get the $1051, on account that it has a mobile ATI Radeon 9700. Aside from that, and that the $1051 is.2mhz slower. The $1208 has as DVD writer, which I want, but we figured I could use the $200 I save on the $1051 for a DVD burner and ram. Another friend of mine has also greenlighted the $1051 laptop. But I want to hear other people's opinions. Finally, thanks again for the advice Garageink. :D

Here's the link for the side by side comparison.

Side by Side Comparison

Edited by Sturmvogel

Ya Inky's Right, That One Looks Like Its The Best, I Mean WIth An S-Video Port! TV GAME ON!

EDIT: Oh Dont Make It An Internal DVD Burner, Those Just Kill The Batery Life.

Edited by 666Ghost

I was wondering about that to Gryph. The specs page is as you see it. I at least know what I'm getting with the $1051. The $1208 just says ATI Mobile Radeon, as you can see. Maybe I can contact the seller. If it happens to be that the $1208 has the same card as the $1051, does that tip the balance over to the $1208?

Edited by Sturmvogel

I'd probably get the cheaper one, but the only thing that worries me is that the cheaper one apparently has only 64 megs of ram (but 512mb video memory). But that could be perfectly normal for a laptop, I just don't know.

I'd probably get the cheaper one, but the only thing that worries me is that the cheaper one apparently has only 64 megs of ram (but 512mb video memory). But that could be perfectly normal for a laptop, I just don't know.

Yeah..you're right. That's really weird. Only 64mbs of ram? WTF? My crap IBM has that much, albeit not DDR RAM. So they put 512mbs for video memory. Damn...now I'm not so sure about e $1051. The $1208 has 512mb of ram too.

I'd toss the extra $147 at the more expensive one if it has an = or better GPU.

For a mere $149, it looks like you're getting a burner and more RAM. Go ahead and try and find a DVD burner for a laptop for $149 PERIOD. Laptop components are sickly expensive.

I'd toss the extra $147 at the more expensive one if it has an = or better GPU.

For a mere $149, it looks like you're getting a burner and more RAM. Go ahead and try and find a DVD burner for a laptop for $149 PERIOD. Laptop components are sickly expensive.

Okay...well it looks like some think I should buy the $1208. i'm not sure what graphic card it has, but it is a Mobile Radeon. I'm not a pc gamer so its not that important. And it writes DVD too. I'm starting to lean toward this one now!! Is there anything else to point out before I decide?

Edited by Sturmvogel

Cindy pointed out the most important! I'd go for the 1208$! If you aren't a pc gamer that video card shouldn't bother you too much!

Laptop components just bite a mouthfull out of your wallet and opening it and adding a component is not an easy job!! Also the battery life is bigger but be carefull when playing games or doing something that requires alot of ram cuz the battery(no matter what laptop) discharges faster!

Example: My mom has a laptop that works on battery for 2 hours! Played KoF 2k2 on NeoRAGEx for about 45 mins and the battery had only 5 mins left!

You also get a fast ethernet adaptor with this one, all the more reason to take it!! Go for it!