Windows Hotfixes

I want to know if anything bad can come from uninstalling all Windows Hotfixes. I recently had a problem with a program quitting on me, after I e-mailed the company a few times for help, they told me it was one the hotfixes causing problems. I uninstalled the particular Hotfix and the program worked.

Is it safe to uninstall ALL the hotfixes? i have about 40 of them showing up in my Add or Remove programs list.

My windows Xp worked fine when I first installed it about 2 years ago and since all these un-neccessary automatic updates my computer has encounted thousands of problems with my installed programs.

Thanks

BTW: I've never installed SP2 (as it will do more harm than good) and there are still about 10 updates from SP2 that I have never allowed to be installed. Those damn f_ckers at Microsoft install automatically without my permission. B@stards - and yes, I turned off auto updating.

I have all the hotfixes myslef and my computer has had no ill effects because of them.

I don't see how uninstalling those hotfixes would somehow do harm to your computer, except for the lowered security.

Bad idea, very bad idea.

Now we all know just how crappy Microsoft is, and how insecure their software is.........but when they release a fix, it's usually for a very good reason, and usually patches the problem up. (Even though thats just a band-aid solution)

If uninstalling a hot fix corrected a problem with a 3rd party application, it's most likely this 3rd party application has issues of it's own that need to be addressed.

I've got XP with SP2 and every hot-fix to date, and my computer runs smooth as silk. (Mind you I turned off all the useless crap in SP2, like security centre)

If your computer is having serious issues, make sure ALL your drivers are up to date (Not just your video card, not just your sound card......EVERYTHING, especially if you're running a motherboard with a VIA chipset, VIA is teh suck), and make sure your bios is flashed with the latest revision bios available for your motherboard.

Yeah, what Cinder said. Most of those hotfixes fix security holes in windows and IE. They should not cause any outstanding issues. It's easy to blame them because they show up all the time and seem "useless," but their effect on your daily activities, aside from the important passive protection they offer, is next to nothing. If some company is blaming one of them for a bug, it's more likely that that company has been negligent to patch their program for that particular security hole in windows.

I'm curious, what company told you to do this, and for what piece of software?

It was Sony and the product was Sonic Stage. This puts mp3s and WMAs onto my mini-disc recorder.

Ah, that explains it. I have one of their MP3 MD players (they're cheap as hell when you work there, w00t :D), so I'm familiar with Sonic Stage. Put blatantly, that is a miserable piece of software and Sony does very little to support it. IE, instead of fixing whatever screw up was in the original software (which is well known to be extremely screwy), they're telling you to uninstall a hotfix.

Which hotfix was it, out of curiosity? MP3 MD owners have been bitching about this software since it was released, and this is especially lame of them. I wonder if anyone ever released their own software to transfer to/from the player? I know a few people were working on it.