what pc game should i get?

Jjangthekid

Yeah, it's really starting to annoy me how games are implementing save state systems on the PC rather than letting you save when you want. The only way I can get through Doom 3 at all is to save almost every time I kill an enemy/group of enemies, as it's so dark and hard to see in that game I die all the time.

Edited by random guy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always hated the limiting of weapons in FPS games. I don't care if it adds more tactics to the game, I just don't find it fun. I also couldn't stand the game saving they implimented. I usually don't play games in long sittings so I need to be able to save wherever I want to. I might give the game another shot, only if they release a new patch (which will probably take another 5 months) that fixes the game saving during the Christmas break since I don't know what other games I'll have to play then.

I wouldn't have minded the difficulty if they had a proper save system.

I can see where you're coming from. The limiting of weapons does change the way the game plays (a little less gung-ho, a little more immersion), but I can understand that it's not for everyone. Sometimes you just want to frag stuff and that's cool.

And the save states would annoy me if they hadn't implemented it so well. While the "levels" are huge, the time between save states is usually really short, most of the time they are only one or two "encounters" apart. They felt like scenes in a movie to me - one might be a run down a windy trail in a buggy, the next might be a gunfight in a building, the next might be sneaking through a camp, etc. Having to make it through an entire "scene" was more engaging to me than only having to clear the visible enemies, saving, then moving into the next room to repeat. Put together, the scenes make up the level, which would be too much to do in one run without saving.

I'm curious if you'd consider the opposite of your statement to be true: "I wouldn't have minded the save system if they'd had a reasonable difficulty?" To me, that would water down the feel of the game less than the ability to save every 2 feet.

Edited by Daeval

I'm curious if you'd consider the opposite of your statement to be true: "I wouldn't have minded the save system if they'd had a reasonable difficulty?"  To me, that would water down the feel of the game less than the ability to save every 2 feet.

No, I just don't like that kind of rigid save system. Things like that can ruin a game for me. I'm just a picky biatch. :)

hmm maybe i should dig out my old PC Gamer mags from when they where ranting about the GeForce 4 being the best card ever, that would be a good idea i think.

Plus i tried that site and got this.

Unfortunately we were unable to identify some hardware components of your system, and therefore it is not possible to provide accurate performance analysis.

Edited by Shibathedog

i dont think the GeForce 4 would run UT2k4 well, Or at least it doesnt on my friends PC, he has a 2.2GHz processor and that card and it runs kinda crappy, it really depends on the map your on. but yeah.

Unreal 2003 runs great on it though (and is better in alot of ways i think)

Ran that test for a game......

The system scan has been blocked by the security settings of your browser. To continue, please do the following: 
Click on the yellow Information Bar 
Select "Install ActiveX control" from the menu 
Select "Install" when asked if you want to install the Measurement Services Client 
You need to complete this procedure only once. Alternatively, you can choose to cancel the system scan and return to the game info.

AHAHAHAHA! NO!

FYI my computer is "sufficient" enough to run Doom 3.

If you go by the Doom 3 manual, I technically don't even meet the minimum requirements. (Now I already know I can run this game just fine, but thats due to my awesome mangement skills with my own PC :) )

This thing LIES! The avg user running a PC with my specs, would NOT be able to run Doom 3 at a playable speed.

i dont think the GeForce 4 would run UT2k4 well, Or at least it doesnt on my friends PC, he has a 2.2GHz processor and that card and it runs kinda crappy, it really depends on the map your on. but yeah.

Unreal 2003 runs great on it though (and is better in alot of ways i think)

Depends on the GeForce 4. On a Ti it should run smooth as silk on really high settings with a pentium 4 or equivalent. On an MX it should run fine as long as you turn the graphics settings down enough (you might also kill EAX in the audio settings).