Could this be the end of Winamp?

Gryph

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more reason to hate AOL, as if the rest of the internet needs anymore.  Anyone else remember when they bought up the best damn instant messenger on the net, Mirabilis' ICQ?  It wasn't long before that was destroyed also.  An interesting quote:
"In addition to its international reach, ICQ has tremendous appeal among young, technically sophisticated Web users and there is remarkably little overlap with AOL."

-America Online President and Chief Operating Officer Bob Pittman

Winamp was getting bloaty in its later forms, maybe it was time for it to go. The question now is, what's next? Someone with enough programming experience will be angry at its demise. We can only hope.

WOW, did he really say that? :P

I think the least they should do to give it an horourable death is to opensource it. It might revive the whole project.

or an old school final 2.9x release. open-source route would be better though in my opinion.

Give me 5 anyday. 3 was disastrous, few people would disagree. But in classic-skin mode, I don't honestly see any difference significant. between 2 and 5.

One more reason to hate AOL, as if the rest of the internet needs anymore.  Anyone else remember when they bought up the best damn instant messenger on the net, Mirabilis' ICQ?  It wasn't long before that was destroyed also.  An interesting quote:
"In addition to its international reach, ICQ has tremendous appeal among young, technically sophisticated Web users and there is remarkably little overlap with AOL."

-America Online President and Chief Operating Officer Bob Pittman

Winamp was getting bloaty in its later forms, maybe it was time for it to go. The question now is, what's next? Someone with enough programming experience will be angry at its demise. We can only hope.

WOW, did he really say that? :lol:

I found it originally in an article on MSN or CNN or one of the big'uns back then. After a google search, you can still find it here: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._15/ai_50072222

At least he knew his user base. :P

I think the least they should do to give it an horourable death is to opensource it. It might revive the whole project.

or an old school final 2.9x release. open-source route would be better though in my opinion.

Give me 5 anyday. 3 was disastrous, few people would disagree. But in classic-skin mode, I don't honestly see any difference significant. between 2 and 5.

Classic mode is the best, I can't stand Winamp 3 and it's new flashy crap. But if you think about it, what more could have been done to Winamp? Hell, I thought the earlier Winamp 2.x hit the nail right in the head.

Winamp! It really whips the llama's ass!