Time travel

random guy

Well? Two questions

#1) do you think it is possible to travel back in time, and

#2) if you can go back in time, could you change the past?

It's a kicker, isn't it? On the one hand, if time-travel were possible wouln't we know about it? We'd have a whole time-tourism industry.

BUT, it could just be that this is the *first* time round, so a time machine won't exist until someone buids it. But does that negate the whole idea of time travel in the first place?

For the second question: The major theories of time travel all have different interpretationd on whether it is possible, and what the possible consequences might be, of changing time. The argument thatyou can't change the past because it's already happened is a good one, but that means that humans have no free will and everything that happens is set to happen only one way, But on the other hand, if you can change time, would iit change the whole history of everything? This could already have happened and we wouldn't know!

So what are your thoughts?

On a side note, a time-travel device would be impossible to patent because if/when one gets made, from that point on it would always be possible to patent the device one day earlier! :lol:

Well, it's more possible to go forward in time that it is to go backwards.

Going forward in time, you don't have to go the speed off light, just near it.

This is why I hate hack scifi writers: if you go back in time, you must remember that anything you do there was already done 'in the past' at the time you travelled back. In other words, if you travel back and become Julius Caesar (whatever), then you can read about everything you *will* do from a history book in the future. You cannot "change" the past, as you're already a part of it.

On the other hand, sending information into the past (which is an important distinction from "sending stuff (like particles) into the past") is possible, although I can't imagine sending a full human being and having that person survive the transition. Say, for instance, that there's a cabinet in which time flows backwards, yes? If you are going to step into it in 5 minutes, the 'you' from 10 minutes into your linear perception of time is sitting in there already going backwards. Basically, if you break this down into an issue of (say) the moments you step into the damn thing, you're technically occupying the same area of space twice. Which makes you go boom. Same with "accelerating to reality-breaking speeds", you'll still occupy the same space twice between the moments you're going forwards and going backwards, which isn't very healthy.

I wonder what kind of solution not involving teleportation someone will come up with someday.

I don't think it could EVER happen.

Anyway, some mates at University created a site about time travel, I've never checked it out but if you are interested, here it is. Their Website

the thought of time travel is absurd, even if a device was capable of traveling at the speed of light id would destroy the galaxy as from causing a flux in the time-space continuem

if someone was going at speed of light, they would be going into the future. no?.. thnk about it, the person that is going at speed of light is moving so fast but the people that are not in the time machien would be moving slow and therefore they would age faster and the person in the time machien would end up going to the future?...thats my theory. if the person was going at speed of light...