Halo 2

valovedder

What's wrong with Red Faction is that I've never even heard of it.  Are you sure it exists?  This is why people "hype" games.  If no one knows about it, it doesn't matter if it's good.

You are setting yourself up for some devastating examples. KOF, Metal Slug, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, and so on and so forth. Good games don't need to garner hype. It helps their sales, sure, but they are still, none the less, good games.

Red Faction II is a damn fine FPS. Damn fine. It would be hard to pick between that and Halo. But, with Halo 2, it is a different story. Everything that made Red Faction better seems that have been implemented and improved in Halo 2. So, Red Faction has no ace in the hole to compete with Halo 2.

Anon.

My point was, that if no one knows that a game is good, then it will never be regarded as such. If you don't advertise your games and no one ever plays them, then what's the point of it being good?

You are confusing "good" with "popular." There are very, very few commercial games that have NO recognition whatsoever. Good, but unpopular/unhyped games become sleeper hits (a la Beyond Good & Evil) or develop "underground" followings (such as KOF). In these ways, they are recognized as good games, just not by the media outlets that make a game popular.

If you were to say "I've never heard of this game, so it can't be good." you would essentially be saying "I like only what I am spoonfed by the media." More importantly, you would be missing out on a LOT of good games.

See though, I've heard about Beyond Good & Evil. Beyond Good & Evil had ads, it had reviews, it had a lot of things. I hear about it often. From many varied sources. It IS a popular game. If a game is truly good I WILL hear about it. Good games get talked about. Samba de Amiga was never talked about. If it's a really old game, and it was talked about a long time ago, then maybe I just missed it. But good games become popular, almost without fail.

I think you may be confusing popularity with Spike popularity. When I say popularity, I refer to popularity among the gaming scene. Not among middle aged men who prefer watching pseudo Rugby to a good game of Space Invaders.

Now some games fit a certain niche, becoming "underground". Underground games get dumped there for a reason. Only very specific people enjoy them.

You'll hear about nearly every game just by subscribing to a few magazines. The only ways I miss a game that might be good, are

1. It's old. as in before I started really paying attention to the scene, or

2. It's a PC game. My PC sucks so I don't play them much. PCs also tend to flood me with errors because they don't like me... Thus I pay less attention to PC games.

Now Red Faction sounds familiar, so I probobly saw it just as I entered the scene. Samba de Amigo...sounds foreign. Maybe I missed it cause it was never released in Japan/America/Europe.

Edited by LordKanti

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with Red Faction is that I've never even heard of it.  Are you sure it exists?  This is why people "hype" games.  If no one knows about it, it doesn't matter if it's good.

You are setting yourself up for some devastating examples. KOF, Metal Slug, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, and so on and so forth. Good games don't need to garner hype. It helps their sales, sure, but they are still, none the less, good games.

Red Faction II is a damn fine FPS. Damn fine. It would be hard to pick between that and Halo. But, with Halo 2, it is a different story. Everything that made Red Faction better seems that have been implemented and improved in Halo 2. So, Red Faction has no ace in the hole to compete with Halo 2.

Anon.

My point was, that if no one knows that a game is good, then it will never be regarded as such. If you don't advertise your games and no one ever plays them, then what's the point of it being good?

You are confusing "good" with "popular." There are very, very few commercial games that have NO recognition whatsoever. Good, but unpopular/unhyped games become sleeper hits (a la Beyond Good & Evil) or develop "underground" followings (such as KOF). In these ways, they are recognized as good games, just not by the media outlets that make a game popular.

If you were to say "I've never heard of this game, so it can't be good." you would essentially be saying "I like only what I am spoonfed by the media." More importantly, you would be missing out on a LOT of good games.

<SNIP>

But good games become popular, almost without fail.

I think you may be confusing popularity with Spike popularity. When I say popularity, I refer to popularity among the gaming scene. Not among middle aged men who prefer watching pseudo Rugby to a good game of Space Invaders.

<SNIP>

Now Red Faction sounds familiar, so I probobly saw it just as I entered the scene. Samba de Amigo...sounds foreign. Maybe I missed it cause it was never released in Japan/America/Europe.

Right, we were talking about Hype, and Hype usually means "Spike Popularity." Good games do usually become popular within the gaming scene, but I'd say even that is affected by hype and "Spike Popularity" somewhat. The hyped games tend to become more popular more quickly. I guess it depends on who you are willing to include in the "scene" though, as there are many types of gamers. That gets too complicated to bother with here. :lol:

And yeah, Red Faction had at least as much advertisement as Beyond Good & Evil, and probably a little more (BG&E was largely ignored by its publisher in favor of marketing XIII at the time). You probably just missed it, but it's good fun. Samba de Amigo was one of those underground titles as I recall.. A maracas sim for the dreamcast, was it? A very niche title on the littler-known system of its time, definately not set to be a huge mainstream hit, but wholeheartedly advocated by those who have played it.

Hello Overrated game.

I would agree with my brother who said the pc version is different than the xbox series. But I still wouldn't like it anyways. Why?

It is a hold down and shoot game and don't tell me it isnt.

The gameplay gets boring fast. CTF, Deathmatch, we've seen it before. Its just a FPS with shields that recharge after a while. I'm going with the assumption that the Pc game is similar than the xbox game and god, ppl said multiplayer was god. I seriously played it for 10 minutes online on a server and got sick of it.

Nothing new and nothing old. I just don't like games where you get something other than body armor cause Ppl don't die and more camping is enforced :lol:

W/e, Its ur thread. Rant all you want :P

Btw, Stay on track dummies. You spent a page talking about Red Faction

Well I got Halo 2 today and here sre my thoughts.

Single Player : Not played much but seems a bit dissapointing. Not really much different from the first game. So Far. I hope it proves me wrong.

Live Multi Player : The overall exeperience is pretty good. No lag, glitches etc. Communication is easy. However, i think the live interface needs some work. If you opti match you have to wait for 7 other players, then u play the game. Whats the problem? Well at the end of the game the room is destroyed, all players are ejected and its a case of entering opti match again. Waiting for more players etc. I can't believe that it isn't possible to keep the room alive and hust to replay!! :lol:

Overall not deserving of 10/10 (so far).

Anon.

<SNIP>

But good games become popular, almost without fail.

<SNIP>

Right, we were talking about Hype, and Hype usually means "Spike Popularity." Good games do usually become popular within the gaming scene, but I'd say even that is affected by hype and "Spike Popularity" somewhat. The hyped games tend to become more popular more quickly. I guess it depends on who you are willing to include in the "scene" though, as there are many types of gamers. That gets too complicated to bother with here. :lol:

And yeah, Red Faction had at least as much advertisement as Beyond Good & Evil, and probably a little more (BG&E was largely ignored by its publisher in favor of marketing XIII at the time). You probably just missed it, but it's good fun. Samba de Amigo was one of those underground titles as I recall.. A maracas sim for the dreamcast, was it? A very niche title on the littler-known system of its time, definately not set to be a huge mainstream hit, but wholeheartedly advocated by those who have played it.

Wtf? A maracas sim? How would that even work?

Now, having hype doesn't mean a game is bad, that just means that a broader, or simply different, group of people enjoy playing it. Hype is not required for a game to be good. But a game that everyone raves over can be assumed to be good.

Halo is another easy to play but hard to master game, which makes it popular to the "Spike population". It certainly isn't a bad game. The biggest argument against it is that it's been done before. But only on PC. And it didn't have the same sci-fi coating. The story is a popular point of Halo as well. There's a book series about it you know. If you look at the sound and graphics, those are great, too. The sound is easily better than any PC FPS I've ever played. And I've played most of them at one point or another. The controls, though a little slow, just seem to fit after you play it. It ends as an enjoyable game.

Wtf?  A maracas sim?  How would that even work?

With a pair of dreamcast maracas, of course. :thumbsup1:

Now, having hype doesn't mean a game is bad, that just means that a broader, or simply different, group of people enjoy playing it.  Hype is not required for a game to be good.  But a game that everyone raves over can be assumed to be good.

Most hype is generated before a game is even realeased and results in zealous, usually blind, fanatasicm once a title ships. This is what turns people away from hyped titles - you never know when someone is speaking truth about them or just talking hype, and more often than not it's the latter. Once a game ships, if it's an outright bad game, the hype will die down. However, if a halfway decent title is hyped it can maintain its fanatic popularity, "Spike" or otherwise, far above what it would have without the hype and extra attention. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just sitting prettier than it would without the marketing machine behind it. This is what happened to Halo. If a game maintains its hype, it's likely a decent game that appeals to someone.

Halo is another easy to play but hard to master game, which makes it popular to the "Spike population".  It certainly isn't a bad game.  The biggest argument against it is that it's been done before.  But only on PC.  And it didn't have the same sci-fi coating.  The story is a popular point of Halo as well.  There's a book series about it you know.  If you look at the sound and graphics, those are great, too.  The sound is easily better than any PC FPS I've ever played.  And I've played most of them at one point or another.  The controls, though a little slow, just seem to fit after you play it.  It ends as an enjoyable game.

The vehicles were really the only thing that hadn't already been in a console FPS, and a few PC FPS'es had those (Tribes?). Red Faction (and Tribes? And Doom?) had the sci-fi guys in armor down already for consoles. The story is the same old "a miscellaneous horde attacks our faceless hero" used in almost every FPS, but persued further by fans and people in positions to make money off of it. Proof that books aren't a sign of gripping storyline:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067...1672698-2101625

Hehe.. Like I've always said, it's enjoyable, just not the evolutionary step rabid fans claim it to be.

Doesn't look like a bad book to me...

And its storyline is a lot deeper than that. You get into the politics of both races, their religion and culture, the history and purpose of the Halos, it's great. The evolutionary step is the ease of multiplayer access. The masses never used the internet for gaming before. But with the various console internet services, they're actually starting to get a dose of culture. I hope...

And its storyline is a lot deeper than that.  You get into the politics of both races, their religion and culture, the history and purpose of the Halos, it's great.  The evolutionary step is the ease of multiplayer access.  The masses never used the internet for gaming before.  But with the various console internet services, they're actually starting to get a dose of culture.  I hope...

You can't call that revolutionary considering all the problems (extinguishing game rooms, can't just choose a server/game to play but have to be randomly assigned to one, etc...). That, at least to a PC gamer, is actually a massive step back.

And its storyline is a lot deeper than that.  You get into the politics of both races, their religion and culture, the history and purpose of the Halos, it's great.  The evolutionary step is the ease of multiplayer access.  The masses never used the internet for gaming before.  But with the various console internet services, they're actually starting to get a dose of culture.  I hope...

You can't call that revolutionary considering all the problems (extinguishing game rooms, can't just choose a server/game to play but have to be randomly assigned to one, etc...). That, at least to a PC gamer, is actually a massive step back.

That aspect of XBOX Live is definitely a step back for PC gamers. A step for console people but it still doesn't matter. One thing pretty cool that XBOX Live has is the and ranking and match summary features. I'd never use them but it's a pretty cool addition. But the flaws definitely outweigh the good stuff.

During lunch today me and my friends were talking about games and stuff and one of them said something that I thought was pretty funny. He said that "Halo is like the Linkin Park of gaming." :thumbsup1:

Edited by GryphonKlaw