Halo 2

valovedder

What's wrong with Red Faction is that I've never even heard of it.  Are you sure it exists?  This is why people "hype" games.  If no one knows about it, it doesn't matter if it's good.

You are setting yourself up for some devastating examples. KOF, Metal Slug, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, and so on and so forth. Good games don't need to garner hype. It helps their sales, sure, but they are still, none the less, good games.

Red Faction II is a damn fine FPS. Damn fine. It would be hard to pick between that and Halo. But, with Halo 2, it is a different story. Everything that made Red Faction better seems that have been implemented and improved in Halo 2. So, Red Faction has no ace in the hole to compete with Halo 2.

Anon.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with Red Faction is that I've never even heard of it.  Are you sure it exists?  This is why people "hype" games.  If no one knows about it, it doesn't matter if it's good.

Red Faction was really big when it first came out because of its revolutionary Geo-Mod engine which feature realtime deformable terrain. They could have done so much with that engine but they didn't. There was this one multiplayer map in Red Faction (forgot the name) that was probably the best map I have ever played because you could destroy all the pillars and completely change the map. That engine coupled with the latest physics engine could really do some amazing things but I don't know if we'll ever see the Geo-mod engine or anything like it anytime soon.

You are setting yourself up for some devastating examples. KOF, Metal Slug, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, and so on and so forth. Good games don't need to garner hype. It helps their sales, sure, but they are still, none the less, good games.

Red Faction II is a damn fine FPS. Damn fine. It would be hard to pick between that and Halo. But, with Halo 2, it is a different story. Everything that made Red Faction better seems that have been implemented and improved in Halo 2. So, Red Faction has no ace in the hole to compete with Halo 2.

Anon.

My point was, that if no one knows that a game is good, then it will never be regarded as such. If you don't advertise your games and no one ever plays them, then what's the point of it being good?

The problem with hype, is a lot of people go, "Hey, everyone likes this game so it must really suck." and refuse to play it. Popular games are popular for a reason. Jet Set Radio seemed pretty popular as I recall... Samba de Amigo is another thing I've never heard of, but judging from the nature of the site's members, I'd say it's another hardcore fighter. KOF seems kindof repetitive if they come out with one every year. I can't see it improving any more than a sports series. On top of that, most fighting games involve extremely complex terms and maneuvers. Non hardcore fighters get overwhelmed by them, and prefer to play simple fighters. Like Mortal Kombat, or Budokai, both popular.

Edited by LordKanti

Anon.

My point was, that if no one knows that a game is good, then it will never be regarded as such. If you don't advertise your games and no one ever plays them, then what's the point of it being good?

The problem with hype, is a lot of people go, "Hey, everyone likes this game so it must really suck." and refuse to play it. Popular games are popular for a reason. Jet Set Radio seemed pretty popular as I recall... Samba de Amigo is another thing I've never heard of, but judging from the nature of the site's members, I'd say it's another hardcore fighter. KOF seems kindof repetitive if they come out with one every year. I can't see it improving any more than a sports series. On top of that, most fighting games involve extremely complex terms and maneuvers. Non hardcore fighters get overwhelmed by them, and prefer to play simple fighters. Like Mortal Kombat, or Budokai, both popular.

Well why was it that I've heard of every game mentioned in the recent dialogue, inclusing red faction (of course) and samba de amigo, and yet I'm in a backwater country where only a fraction of the time or money is spent on hyping games?

Anon.

Well why was it that I've heard of every game mentioned in the recent dialogue, inclusing red faction (of course) and samba de amigo, and yet I'm in a backwater country where only a fraction of the time or money is spent on hyping games?

Because you talk with these people more, who talk about these games. I'm assuming. Where'd you hear of them?

Anon.

Because you talk with these people more, who talk about these games. I'm assuming. Where'd you hear of them?

I don't remember these guys talking about any of those games, and if I did it wasn't how I heard of it. And even if it was, that would still count as me finding out about these games through channels other than the "hype" channels. There are lots of ways of finding out about games, and you don't need millions of dollars in advertising to do it. Look at the success of "uplink" for instance, which grew to a massive hit through word of mouth alone.

I still say that for video games at least (given the net-centric skewed population that plays them) the best advertisement is word of mouth.

...and you'd be right at that. If it weren't for information passsed between friends and the intarweb, I would only know about the most hyped of games.

Edited by Agozer

Anon.

You are confusing "good" with "popular." There are very, very few commercial games that have NO recognition whatsoever. Good, but unpopular/unhyped games become sleeper hits (a la Beyond Good & Evil) or develop "underground" followings (such as KOF). In these ways, they are recognized as good games, just not by the media outlets that make a game popular.

If you were to say "I've never heard of this game, so it can't be good." you would essentially be saying "I like only what I am spoonfed by the media." More importantly, you would be missing out on a LOT of good games.