GamePads

I have been looking thru the net trying to find a good gamepad for Mame. I have a playstation controller and found the Joypad 5 converter so i can hook it up to my pc. Is it really good though?

Are there better? What types of controllers do you guys use?

Also i have been thinking about getting the SF Anniversary controller like the Akuma Version (very nice), but that would mean cashing in about 15 bucks for the converter plus another 25-30 bucks for the controller......

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, any of the offical psx/ps2 controllers on the pc is good enough. Really versatile

except when it comes to arcade games and you needa work on playing with the joystick

Edited by Weirdanzeige

I've been using Gravis Gamepad Pros, which you can find at places like bestbuy for 10-15 bucks and even cheaper on ebay. They're basically clone playstation controllers, although the buttons are typically harder and the pad is a solid piece, requiring a little aclimation for 2D fighters. They require no software or configuration (at least in winXP, dunno about the rest) and MAME32 can handle four of them with no trouble.

I have had them for years though, since before the psx/ps2 converters were around, so those might be better (but maybe more expensive if you don't already have the pads).

Microsoft SideWinder for me... although it aggravates me that no store near me sells the USB SWs anymore. I have to gmeport pads from my old comp, but Windows XP doesn't recognize those anymore. :D

Oh Super JoyBox 5? Its Great, I Have One, But Its Have The Older Version With No Rumble, And I Use A DualShock 2 Controller, I Plan To Get This One Mainly For Its Rumble, And I Don't Need The Other 2 Player, But Get The Joy Box 5 Cuz If You Decide To Hack A PS/2 Controller(Like What I Am Doing) And Build A Arcade Control Panel, Get That The Joy Box 5, So You Can Play 4 Player Games, Good Luck With Your Decision.

I've been using Logitech Wingman Rumblepads for the last 3 years, and I highly recommend it. There's a new cordless version that's even nicer (but slightly heavier and requires batteries.)

My all-time favorite, however, is the Gravis Stinger. It might be hard to find, because it's *old*... it's designed for notebooks, and only plugs into a serial port. Also, driver-support goes through Win98, so they won't work on 2k or XP. I *really* wish I knew how to get this thing to work by wiring it up for USB.

Oh, and I love the concept of this pad: http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SMY-2002KP.html

Edited by Swithin

[666Ghost] yeah that is the one i have seen, but still thinking. My real plan was to buy the Akuma's SF Anniversary Controller, have you seen this you guys?.....it is sSHweet. I like how its packaged n all. Bu like i mentioned, i would have to cash in at least 40 bucks in all.

This is just my dream so i would have to settle for a regular controller or converter or somethin.

I just wanted to get the SF controller because its a nice collectible.

[swithin] that keyboard pad mini is an interesting piece, but just too much for me, it just too loaded.

Also ive been thinking about getting this for my snes, but i heard that you cant press two buttons at once, which sucks

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...roducts_id=4234

And If You REALLY Want It You'd Get It, Like I'm Actrully STARVING To Buy Buttons And Arcade Sticks To Build My Control Panel.

How About Hacking Your Current Snes Controller To Be Able To Use With The Serial Port?