Reformating Comp...

Can I back up anything I want? Norton Internets Security? the downloaded updates (where can I find these by the way?), Downloaded programs, anything?

What classes can I take to learn all this computer stuff. I've heard of IT and IS and A+ but I dont even know what those are or what they teach

Edited by ThatHotAnimeGuy

Can I back up anything I want? Norton Internets Security? the downloaded updates (where can I find these by the way?), Downloaded programs, anything?

What classes can I take to learn all this computer stuff. I've heard of IT and IS and A+ but I dont even know what those are or what they teach

Doctorate in Googleogy. That's all you need.

Doctorate in Googleogy. That's all you need.

I couldn't have said it any better. :afro:

To be nitpicky now (because I just feel like it), formatting doesn't erase the HDD/partition completely, it just seems that way to the user.

I don't think you NEED to format your computer - just run spy sweeper, some registry mechanic program and an antivirus or two and you'll probably get rid of all that spyware without any trouble.

Or, if you have XP you could do a system restore to a much earlier restore date, but doing it that way you'd still need to reinstall lots of programs.

Edit: and if you want to ensure you'll get little/no spyware, follow these steps.

1. Get firefox

2. Go into IE. Choose "internet options". Then "Privacy". Set the privacy level to "medium"

3. In the "privacy" tab, click on "advanced". If you've got an old-enough version of ie you have to make sure to go to the "ActiveX" settings and disable all ActiveX controls, if not see step 6

4. Never click on popup ads or banner ads

5. Be wary of media-files with DRM, these can install cookies or spyware on your computer, if possible avoid these, but better yet do step 6

6. In windows media player click "settings" then "security" and again disable all the ActiveX controls (or better yet set them to "prompt" - this way it will ask you whether or not to run the controls in case a file needs to legitimately use it.

7. Be sure to scan for spyware regularly just in case

Edited by random guy