The Best Boxer Ever In a Game

KyokugenKiss

BEST VIDEO GAME BOXER?!  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Argument Winner - Look at the updated Official Tekken 5 site. Paul's Information has been included now.

And Paul's Fighting Style is.....

So there you go. I'm loathe to say it, but it is quite wise not to disagree with me/us most of the time... :lol:

I was only 16 when I figured out what Namco intended with Paul's fighting style. So it proves I thought along the same lines as developers even back then (and I was relatively daft in those days, compared to how much I know now).

Good Judo information before though... :D

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argument Winner - Look at the updated Official Tekken 5 site. Paul's Information has been included now.

So there you go. I'm loathe to say it, but it is quite wise not to disagree with me/us most of the time...  :lol:

I was only 16 when I figured out what Namco intended with Paul's fighting style. So it proves I thought along the same lines as developers even back then (and I was relatively daft in those days, compared to how much I know now). 

Good Judo information before though...  :D

nice link great info

not "judo BASED fighting style"

(K`dash @ Sep 21 2004, 12:23 PM)

it's a good debate. I am enjoying it.

me too..

so many new things about judo and wrestling I didn't know

I hope you aren't kidding. I think it's interesting. :lol:

So there you go. I'm loathe to say it, but it is quite wise not to disagree with me/us most of the time...  :D

Good Judo information before though...  ;)

And to think, I was about to let you off the hook.. Hehehe

I've never argued that Judo is what the officials call it. That's what's in the manual, that's fine. I covered that in my very first post.

My point from the start was that his style sure as heck doesn't LOOK judo-based, even non-sport judo, and that they would do much more justice to the character by admitting that it's based on something different. He has had roughly two judo moves (a one-shoulder throw and a suicide throw) since Tekken 1, and ten to fifteen "other" moves that are closer to the core of his arsenal, most of which look like 8-way fist or some other heavy striking art.

So as far as I'm concerned, we both win. "Judo-based" is his "official" style, since that's what you were arguing (and that I never contested). However, you haven't given me evidence (which would come in the form of moves, I would imagine) that suggests that the "official" reasoning is good, and that his style is actually based on Judo.

So unless you'd like to contest the actual argument I was trying to make, we can share that smiley beer now. :lol::D

Actually, Ever since Tekken 1 came out in the arcades I knew Namco were going for a judo style character. Although it was appallingly done, I saw that he was 'supposed' to be judo. I've covered all this before.

Now it doesn't matter if you make no connection between judo and Paul's moves. I could see that Namco tried to make him a judo fighter 10 years ago. As a designer, I try to see why or how they have done what they have done. The Fact that I knew what they were going for (based on his few throws), proves that I know how to do my job.

He is only judo BASED you know. It seems like you should direct your argument at Namco and not me. :lol:

Actually, Ever since Tekken 1 came out in the arcades I knew Namco were going for a judo style character. Although it was appallingly done, I saw that he was 'supposed' to be judo. I've covered all this before.

Now it doesn't matter if you make no connection between judo and Paul's moves. I could see that Namco tried to make him a judo fighter 10 years ago. As a designer, I try to see why or how they have done what they have done. The Fact that I knew what they were going for (based on his few throws), proves that I know how to do my job.

He is only judo BASED you know. It seems like you should direct your argument at Namco and not me.  :lol:

You're obviously just being contradictory at this point. If it was some great designer's eye that proved this to you years ago, you'd have also realized that about a third of the characters in tekken have at least one judo-based throw. Hell, even RYU from street fighter has the exact same two throws as Paul (his ippon-seionage is an under-the-arm grab, but it's the same throw, and heck, Paul's is backwards if I remember correctly). That doesn't make him any more judo-based than Paul is.

End of argument before I have to hold back fire here.

It wasn't a bad argument earlier on, until I found proof that I was right. Then you had to keep coming back in an attempt to have the last word. You are just rambling now. You don't even know what you're disagreeing with anymore.

And on the "Why isn't Ryu judo", "why isn't bloody Zangief judo"? debacle, you are being absurd - Ryu's actions wouldn't make anyone think he was supposed to be a judo character. (Just because he uses two throws that could be mis-interpreted as being "judo style") Paul used far more than that, numerous throws and other subtelties that to my mind added up to = Namco attempting judo badly, I didn't think Michelle was supposed to be wrestling based because she had a german suplex for one of her throws....

The whole argument, as you obviously forgot ages ago, was that

1. I said Paul was supposed to be Judo based (based on me forming that opinion in 94, knowing what the designer's were aiming for, whether you feel they achieved it or not).

2. You said he wasn't supposed to be.

3. I later found proof (proof that I didn't think existed until earlier today) that I was right, he DID use a Judo based style. You then changed your argument to "I don't care what Namco say he is, he doesn't look like it" in a stupid attempt to continue something that was over.

And what you are arguing about now I have NO idea. You are making a fool of yourself just because I was right. We 'shook hands' on this ages ago until I found the proof and now you don't like it.

Paul actually has alot of Jujitsu based combo's but people only use his powerful punches

and im highly against the practice of judo because its budo and budo is a ripoff

Paul actually has alot of Jujitsu based combo's but people only use his powerful punches

Losers, you should use all of his moveslist. I hate how people only choose a limited number of moves that they think are worth doing and stick only to them.

Even if they win with a basic knowledge of the character, they still aren't as good at the game as they could be. Even the most subtle elbow or shin kick could offer strategy that they just don't know about. Idiots.

You need a pretty good memory to be able to do this but; I know every single move for every character from Tekken 3, Tekken 4, VF3 and VF4 (normal and evo). That makes these games incredible fun to play and show off on.

I'm wasn't getting at you dude, just replying to what you said. :lol:

It wasn't a bad argument earlier on, until I found proof that I was right. Then you had to keep coming back in an attempt to have the last word. You are just rambling now. You don't even know what you're disagreeing with anymore.

And on the "Why isn't Ryu judo", "why isn't bloody Zangief judo"? debacle, you are being absurd  - Ryu's actions wouldn't make anyone think he was supposed to be a judo character. (Just because he uses two throws that could be mis-interpreted as being "judo style") Paul used far more than that, numerous throws and other subtelties that to my mind added up to = Namco attempting judo badly, I didn't think Michelle was supposed to be wrestling based because she had a german suplex for one of her throws....

The whole argument, as you obviously forgot ages ago, was that

1. I said Paul was supposed to be Judo based (based on me forming that opinion in 94, knowing what the designer's were aiming for, whether you feel they achieved it or not).

2. You said he wasn't supposed to be.

3. I later found proof (proof that I didn't think existed until earlier today) that I was right, he DID use a Judo based style. You then changed your argument to "I don't care what Namco say he is, he doesn't look like it" in a stupid attempt to continue something that was over.

And what you are arguing about now I have NO idea. You are making a fool of yourself just because I was right. We 'shook hands' on this ages ago until I found the proof and now you don't like it.

Discussion continued here:

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9522

To keep everyone relatively sane in this thread. ;)