The Best Boxer Ever In a Game

KyokugenKiss

BEST VIDEO GAME BOXER?!  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never seen a judoka do ANY of that stuff.  He might have a judo-based throw or two, but the vast majority of his moves look more like Akira from Virtua Fighters "Eight-Way Punch" or "Bear and Tiger" style.  It might be what the manual says, but it's lying to you.  :lol:

I didn't get it from the manual. You should never listen to manuals. Half of the time they're written by the stupid morons who published the game rather than the ones who developed it. Anyway, his original style wasn't anything like Akira's Hakkyoku-ken. They only added moves (rip-offs) such as his iron mountain lean in an attempt to copy Akira later on in the series (3 onwards). He then took on the role as the rough 'powerhouser' of the series, just like Akira always has been in Virtua Fighter.

(and now Namco are saying they want to add that style again (powerful rough-housing) but with an Asian rather than American, with Feng Wei, man they seriously wished they created Akira...)

Namco's original naive character designs didn't stick to any fighting styles that actually existed, the closest thing to Paul's style was Judo, so I'm sticking to it. :P

Oh, and you won't have seen any Judoka do most of Goh Hinogami's moves either (again, other than his throws) and he uses out-and-out Judo. Judo could never be represented as it really is in a fighting game, only in a Judo game.

Heed these words -

"You can't make an omelette (fighting game) without breaking some eggs (giving judo characters roundhouses and leaping high-kicks)"

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about that guy from Fatal Fury?  Franco Bash?  He was cool.

you mean Mario on steroids? no way !

Or Haggar on a diet...

It's a variation on boxing, it's since it's his personal style (adding random kicks and sheit), it doesn't quite qualify as actual boxing.

Shen Woo

Mode Of Combat: Personal style (Rowdy Barefisted Boxing)

its good enough to put him on the list!

Sounds like your just trying to find a reason to put another KOF character in your poll. :D

No, mentioning Rick Strowd isn't 'showing off'. I was going to bring him up, but then I read the thread and saw that he's mentioned. Rick Strowd looks cool, *memorably* so. In other words, he's a good boxer 'design'.

Anyway, Vanessa owns me, but Rick Strowd looks damn cool, and '98 Heavy D! is cool also. There are a lot of great designs. Dudley is cool, too. I'd go so far as to say you can split up "best boxer" amongst these four in different categories - they might not be the most realistic 'boxers', but they are up there in terms of style and design...

Hottest Boxer EVAR: Vanessa

Best Gentleman Boxer: Dudley

Best 'Modern' Competitive Boxer: Heavy D! (he's actually likeable! gasp!)

Fiercest Looking Boxer: Rick Strowd

I've never seen a judoka do ANY of that stuff.  He might have a judo-based throw or two, but the vast majority of his moves look more like Akira from Virtua Fighters "Eight-Way Punch" or "Bear and Tiger" style.  It might be what the manual says, but it's lying to you.  :D

I didn't get it from the manual. You should never listen to manuals. Half of the time they're written by the stupid morons who published the game rather than the ones who developed it. Anyway, his original style wasn't anything like Akira's Hakkyoku-ken. They only added moves (rip-offs) such as his iron mountain lean in an attempt to copy Akira later on in the series (3 onwards). He then took on the role as the rough 'powerhouser' of the series, just like Akira always has been in Virtua Fighter.

(and now Namco are saying they want to add that style again (powerful rough-housing) but with an Asian rather than American, with Feng Wei, man they seriously wished they created Akira...)

Namco's original naive character designs didn't stick to any fighting styles that actually existed, the closest thing to Paul's style was Judo, so I'm sticking to it. :P

Oh, and you won't have seen any Judoka do most of Goh Hinogami's moves either (again, other than his throws) and he uses out-and-out Judo. Judo could never be represented as it really is in a fighting game, only in a Judo game.

Heed these words -

"You can't make an omelette (fighting game) without breaking some eggs (giving judo characters roundhouses and leaping high-kicks)"

I'll have to play Tekken 1 again, but I remember his main moves always being forward-palm like. It has been a while though.

And Goh uses Judo with the Atemi-waza (strikes) included, which are not typically taught to people who are learning for sport. What he does is fairly accurate in that it's mostly reserved, designed to deliver what would be a quick warding blow or get the opponent off of you. His highest kick that I can recall is just a lead-in into a takedown that would be over-powering if it was a single move. His real damage dealers are his throws, which are accurate, with the exception of the incorporated Atemi-Waza (if you kneed someone in the gut before a Harai, you'd be out of any judo tournament). I'm not sure about the technical accuracy of Goh's Atemi-waza, as I haven't learned them, but they are more fitting to the style of "practical" Judo than Paul's heavy strikes.

And yeah, Judo could be accurately represented in a fighting game. However, the SPORT of Judo could not. It is significantly different in that it is practiced to defeat other judokas who are aiming for the same thing: kazushi, throws, or pinning/chokes/locks. That works better in a wrestling game. Remember that Judo was originally developed as a general form of fighting, and also incorporated strikes and blocks. It focused on grappling techniques because they were considered the most efficient ways to disable your opponent, but that doesn't mean they were the only options available.

Edited by Daeval