Beware of the End of the World (Wide Web)

Alpha

Sep 10, 2004 (financialwire.net via COMTEX) -- (FinancialWire) Remember those "End of the World" signs? Well, Intel Corp. (NASDAQ: INTC) says it may be nearer than we think. Except the sign says "End of the World Wide Web."

It's a vision apparently shared by Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) and AT&T Corp. (NYSE: T), all of whom are working feverishly, either together or apart to save the World Wide Web, which Intel and others see as becoming so overloaded it will eventually break.

At Intel's technical conference, CTO Patrick Gelsinger said the Internet will begin to collapse as millions of new computer users from developing nations begin to sign on.

"We're running up on some architectural limitations," Gelsinger was quoted as saying.

Gelsinger's solution is to build a new network over the current Internet, that would monitor and direct traffic and better fight security threats or traffic surges.

It's PlanetLab, some 429 computer nodes in 181 sites around the world, is supported by 150 universities and corporate research labs, including Princeton, Cambridge, Hewlett-Packard and AT&T.

However, Cisco controls most of the routers and switchers comprising the current web, and it may have other ideas.

For up-to-the-minute news, features and links click on http://www.financialwire.net

FinancialWire is an independent, proprietary news service of Investrend Information, a division of Investrend Communications, Inc. It is not a press release service and receives no compensation for its news or opinions. Other divisions of Investrend, however, provide shareholder empowerment platforms such as forums, independent research and webcasting. For more information or to receive the FirstAlert daily summary of news, commentary, research reports, webcasts, events and conference calls, click on http://www.investrend.com/contact.asp

I doubt this is going to happen, this is highly unlikely. :lol:

That would be pretty crappy... but it would be nice to see a cleansing of the internet.

Cleansing? Dude, our lives depend on the internet. I would die without it, within a matter of minutes, it's like oxygen for super nerds.

I'm pretty sure he means getting rid of all the crappy websites out there, with incorrect information and other useless CRAP, that clutter up the internet, and make it so god damn hard to even find anything these days.

Honestly......when's the last time you used Google, and found EXACTLY what you were looking for, right on the first page. Only if it's something unique or offered by some corporation!

That would be pretty crappy... but it would be nice to see a cleansing of the internet.

Cleansing? Dude, our lives depend on the internet. I would die without it, within a matter of minutes, it's like oxygen for super nerds.

I'm pretty sure he means getting rid of all the crappy websites out there, with incorrect information and other useless CRAP, that clutter up the internet, and make it so god damn hard to even find anything these days.

Honestly......when's the last time you used Google, and found EXACTLY what you were looking for, right on the first page. Only if it's something unique or offered by some corporation!

do a google search for something simple. Like type in...cheese, and then go to the image section and more than half of the pictures there will alreadyh have been removed from being hosted :lol:

I don't know that a cleansing of crap sites would entirely save it if this was really the case.

However, I'd be all for some kind of re-vamp of the internal workings. For example, new email standards that don't allow for IP-spoofing, and some laws that make spam easily punishable over international borders. The IP-Spoofing thing wouldn't be THAT hard if everyone complied. Or if non-complying servers weren't allowed access to everyone else. Hehehe. Also, the separation of online-retail listings from regular search results (like froogle vs. google). That would make it easier for everyone to find what they were looking for, whether it was an item for sale or something else. And rules, either legal or otherwise, that break "result-spam" sites; those sites that post a long strings of common search words, and no real content, to pull hits for their advertisers.