Opening an Arcade...

AntiWinner22

I have had a dream for a while of opening an arcade when I am older.

I have just gone through the prices of some of the machines and it seems that it is NECESSARY to have about $60,000 to even get a few machines.

I am wondering just how an arcade owner even makes money of these machines. It just seems like you would lose money for a long time before making a dollar.

Anyone know more on this?

I have had a dream for a while of opening an arcade when I am older.

I have just gone through the prices of some of the machines and it seems that it is NECESSARY to have about $60,000 to even get a few machines.

I am wondering just how an arcade owner even makes money of these machines. It just seems like you would lose money for a long time before making a dollar.

Anyone know more on this?

ppl normally rent the board and cart and usually it costs a bit extra for the monitor and cabinet

To turn a profit you have to find a prime location for the arcade. As the saying goes "Location, location, location." You can have a relatively sparse selection of games and be situated near a school or movie theatre and turn out some money.

If I were going to open an arcade, I would also have a section for LAN parties and crap like that.

Who knows what things will be like when you're older...the arcade business is steadily going down the toilet.

Arcade industry = teh suck, as gryph might put it, at least where I'm from.

If they aren't a huge chain (like Dave and Busters), and sometimes even if they are, they usually get a few brand new hot titles and a bunch of nice second-hand stuff. At least, that's been my observation, and it would probably save a goodly chunk of cash/loan.

I want to open an arcade. But sooner or later. I might just end up opening a net cafe.

And get like, maybe one cab or 2 cabs.

The arcade industry here is still alive and kicking, but it is confined to urban areas.

People here are more engrossed with Ragnarok, or CS or most Taiwan & Korea online games. But the arcade still have good players.

LAN setups seem to do ok here, but you end up with a really young or really geeky crowd. As in, so geeky that they drive more normal customers away.

Net cafes do ok in busy areas, but have the opposite effect: almost no gamer crowd.

There are a few places popping up here, and generally staying afloat, that are like "console cafes." They have comfy couches and large tvs and large libraries of console games that you can hang out and play with your buddies or whoever walks in. Kind of like a pool hall for nerds. Most of them have little drink bars, and one of them even has servers who will bring you crap so you don't have to get up.

My dream is to mix both old arcade cabinets and new ones. I would be happy to see Super Mario Bros Vs. next to a Planet Harriers cabinet.

Also, I want to have some home console games set to play, like Streets of Rage 3. How I will do it, I don't know yet. All I know is that my dream calls for lots of dinero.

Well, whatever happens, all I know is that I am in the dark right now. That is why I asked you guys.

Anon.

Edited by AntiWinner22