[8/16/04] Tekken

Game: Tekken

Genre: Fighting

Platform: Arcade, Playstation

Release: 1994

tekken1logo.gif

The new begining of a sucessful 3D fighting game, other than the game Tekken itself. Tekken is first of the brilliant 3D fighting game made into the markets, lets not forget this game is one of the first realistic fighting game developed. Tekken is the begining of the newest King of Iron Fist tournament establish for the fighters.

tekken1charselect.jpg

This is the new begining of Tekken, features 8 fighters availiable competing for the King of Fist Iron championship. Each and single character has it's own story to follow. Every character has it's own style of fighting and moves.

tekken1fight1.giftekken1fight3.gif

It's easy to play if you pratice, this game really focus on offense and defense seriously, this game requires weeks of pratice in order to feel comfortable beating the human and cpu controlled fighter. The game establish different weakness of every single character, and in order to master the character of your favor, you have to pratice them alot individually. The game expand more than you think even for 8 fighters, each posess different style of playing.

The system is fairly easy to play and follow, you get two punch and two kick buttons, each use for left and right position of the offense. Players also has the ability to throw by pressing the right punch and kick the same exact time. Players able to block by holding back. Tilt foward or twice to make your oponent dash forward or run for a tackle or slide. Tilt up to make your oponent jump or perform an aerial attack and tilt down to make your oponent duck to evade upper attacks, could also use for crouch block, also could perform lower attacks with punch and kick.

The Sound is system is quite alright for once, from the voice over, you can actually hear the mood of your character or your oponent getting beaten. The voice is just incredible, you actually felt the scream when they are defeated or whenever they get pumel down. The music background focus on a more techno and rock theme, trying to make the music fits accordingly to the stage scenery.

tekken1fight2.jpg

Visual: 8/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Control: 9/10

Sound: 8/10

Overall Score: 8

Overall Grade: B

Overall, I give this game a :unsure:

I had always been playing Tekken 2 and later on. But the first time I played this one, it was kinda hard. Especially since there are no 10 hit combos. Ah well...it shows how NAMCO improved the series right after

Actually, to me, tekken 2 is harder. It saids the AI have been quite improved, but for the first game is sorta hard to get use to playing, most of the time, which yer right.

Anyone notice that the character select pics are animated only in the arcade version? Makes the already scary-looking pics even scarier :D Just look at the character select pics of Tekken 1 and then look at the character pics of Tekken 5. Shows how much of along way weve come in 10 years :D

Anyone notice that the character select pics are animated only in the arcade version? Makes the already scary-looking pics even scarier  :D

I think NAMCO was thinking that they wouldn't have enough space to pull that off on the psx version. Of course we all know how much they were wrong :D