Installing drivers and stuff in linux

alexis

i have madrake linux 7.1 installed i tried to install my modem and my soundcard i spend all night and couldn´t install them i have a pctle hsp 56 mr modem and a alc ac97 realtek audio device, i first tried installing the modem and everything went fine until i tried to connect to internet and said either the modem was busy or it couldn´t befound, regarding the audio driver it use./configure and everything goes fine, then check audio module on (by default is on) i don´t know hw to do it, when i type make and make install i get errors.

then i doownloaded the divx codec but counldn´t install, not even figure how the few files it incldes work, then in thereadme it talked about installing and the dll of the windows version( this guys is really a m*therflocker bastard) btw i downloaded it from www.divx.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have madrake linux 7.1 installed i tried to install my modem and my soundcard i spend all night and couldn´t install them i have a pctle hsp 56 mr modem and a alc ac97 realtek audio device, i first tried installing the modem and everything went fine until i tried to connect to internet and said either the modem was busy or it couldn´t befound, regarding the audio driver it use./configure and everything goes fine, then check audio module on (by default is on) i don´t know hw to do it, when i type make and make install i get errors.

then i doownloaded the divx codec but counldn´t install, not even figure how the few files it incldes work, then in thereadme it talked about installing and the dll of the windows version( this guys is really a m*therflocker bastard) btw i downloaded it from www.divx.com

Post more info about your sound device please. Give the output of

lspci -v

For the modem, I believe that's a Winmodem (software modem). Are u using prebuilt drivers? Where did you get your drivers from?

More specific error messages would be useful.

Also Mandrake 7.1 is a little dated. Try the newer versions. You may find everything you need already prepackaged.

cool, yeah i am thinking about getting a newer version and also in that linux from scratch thing, but i wanna make things work first, if not i would consider it something like surrender and i hate the idea. The modem is a winmodem and i got ther drivers from the unnofficial pc tel linux site or sth like it. i have kernell 2.2.15 so i use the 2.2 driver there is also a much newer driver but you need kernel 2.4.x so i can´t install it. I am now at work but i think i can get to post the messages i get. I read somewhere a guy that tried the dirvers i used and said he couldn´t get em to work either but when he updated the kernel he and installed the newer drivers everything was ok. There was one util i dl for knowing which chiipset the modem is using but i can´t get the darn thing to work. i get a message saying i sould execute it on the local disk. wtf i trying everything and couldn´t geet it to work

The sound driver.... i tried many things with ony getting the configure ok, when i tried./install i got something like i should enable the sound on my kernel (how the f*ck do i do that?) anyway i think that the it is some drivers package called alsa or alsa drivers i don´t know but it seems to have lots of stuff.

cool, yeah i am thinking about getting a newer version and also in that linux from scratch thing, but i wanna make things work first, if not i would consider it something like surrender and i hate the idea. The modem is a winmodem and i got ther drivers from the unnofficial pc tel linux site or sth like it. i have kernell 2.2.15 so i use the 2.2 driver there is also a much newer driver but you need kernel 2.4.x so i can´t install it. I am now at work but i think i can get to post the messages i get. I read somewhere a guy that tried the dirvers i used and said he couldn´t get em to work either but when he updated the kernel he and installed the newer drivers everything was ok. There was one util i dl for knowing which chiipset the modem is using but i can´t get the darn thing to work. i get a message saying i sould execute it on the local disk. wtf i trying everything and couldn´t geet it to work

The sound driver.... i tried many things with ony getting the configure ok, when i tried./install i got something like i should enable the sound on my kernel (how the f*ck do i do that?) anyway i think that the it is some drivers package called alsa or alsa drivers i don´t know but it seems to have lots of stuff.

Linux is still young (although rapidly growing) as a desktop OS and as such, older versions are a lot rougher around the edges. kernel 2.2 based systems in particular is, ancient by today's standards. So don't bother trying to fix certain things. They're probably broken and of no fault of yours. Go ahead and try the latest Mandrake. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by the improvements made.

As for the sound thing. I think ALSA is available as an experimental feature on 2.4 kernels and became stable only in 2.6. I'm not sure if 2.2 supports ALSA at all. Anyway, you usually don't have to worry about enabling sound (the guy was likely referring to self-compiled kernels) since all desktop distributions have them enabled. You only need to make sure the drivers get loaded.

all the stuff i dl said it was for kernel 2.2.x, yeah i will get a newer version. anyway by updating the kernel can i get things to work?

Maybe. Are your ALSA errors compile errors? Or run-time errors? If they are compile errors, it means there's something wrong with the toolchain (gcc,make,binutils, development libraries etc).

mmph dunno can´t remember i will post the errors when i get home.

Is it hard ot compile a new kernel?

In a nutshell, yes. :P Mainly because of the build times. Screw something up, and you have to reconfigure and go thru the whole build process from square one. Also, you have to know your exact hw setup for starters, assuming you don't want to build everything, which will take you a long time.