New (at least to me) compression is incredible!

ffynnon

I grabbed a file off DC and after unraring was left with a.7z file. Great I thought--junk. I was pleasantly surprised after a trip to google! An open compression scheme that bests zip, rar, ace--you name it!

I'm in the process of recompressing my goodsets, and what a savings! A rip from the clone7z site:

GoodNES 2.01 set

Uncompressed - 2.42 GB in 10783 files

One ROM image per zip file - 1.06 GB in 10783 files

One big 7z archive - 219 MB in 1 file

Using Clone7z - 209 MB in 1814 files

Ain't that sweet? The webpage is here:

http://wordwood.merseine.nu/oddity/entry/clone7z/

Am I late to the party on this one? Is this common knowledge? I searched the forum and found a post about it being buggy. Is this still the case?

Looking for any comments/impressions.

Just thought of this: if it *is* buggy, by how much? What percentage loss are we looking at? Would a set of par files in excess of the error rate do? Even with a 10% or 15% recovery file, 7z archives would be smaller than rar.

just a thought...

I have tried 7z. It is DAMN GOOD!

The only problem I see with it is that noooooot that many people use it or compress in it. Also, the programs for opening and packing 7z files are SEIZURE-INDUCINGLY SIMPLE! Devoid of anything advanced, I think.

I am not sure if people are atune to 7z. I know of it through my P2P expertise.

Anon.

Edited by AntiWinner22

Yah, I've tried to look up some of the command line parameters on it, but I can't find a lot of info on it. Well, not without paying to register that is.

Prior to a few hours ago I'd never even heard of it. Compression's best kept secret?

:lol:

That post about it being buggy made me dig my.rars out of the recycle bin! Maybe I won't pitch them just yet...(they're on CD anway)

I'm pretty comfortable using "alternative" software. My music is Moneky's Audio (ape) or Musepack (mpc) in a bind. I'm all for revolution! A quick search of a few hubs for.7z netted a few results--I was surprised.

I guess I should have posted a link to 7zip's site (I think clone7z is just for 7-zipping Goodsets)

http://www.7-zip.org/

Enjoy!

(I do wish it had shell integration, but oh well!)

Edited by ffynnon

Other compression methods for other files...

AC3. Video file type. INSANELY good compression. Love it. If only it didn't take 5 hours to change a.avi to.ac3 on a 1999 comp...

OGG. Ogg Vorbis is getting very popular, VERY fast. I am digging the quality.

Try em out if you want.

Anon.

Yah, I used to dabble in DVD-->Divx/Xvid and I would always keep my audio as AC3. It was already so well compressed, why transcode to MP3 and lose that quality?

On the video side h.264 AVC looks AMAZING, but it's not optimized yet. I lurk over at http://www.doom9.org/ once in a while to keep up on video compression. Good video forums.

I've tried.ogg and liked it--much better than mp3. I'd put it on par with mpc although mpc might have the upper hand. I bought an iriver mp3 player in the hopes they would upgrade it to play ogg, but of course my model is one of the few that won't do so. Something to do with the chip they used. :(

As an ogg person, you'd probably enjoy http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showforum=57&

Those guys love their ogg! I love hearing about new compression codecs/techniques. My registry gets bunked up pretty fast with the software I install, test, and uninstall. God bless ghost. ;)

james: I agree. I assumed it was junk. I wasn't going to pitch a 150mb download without a trip to google though. ;)

For smaller files you might not want the added overhead, but until it gets better known it's a good idea.

As for parameters, I've just discovered the "help" file. Doh!