FBAx B4 and KoF2k3 FAQ

shadowjin

I figured it hadn't been started yet, so to avoid confusion, I decided to throw somethin down here.

Anyway, quoted from earlier

And now,i have hacked Fbax for Xbox to play Kof2003.

There are some Steps to do.

1.download the Hacked Fbax default.xbe HERE. and replace it on your Xbox Folder.( I have upload the file to mediabox Site)

2. Download the pmame.bin from the url inside the Readme and insert it into the Kof2003.zip,by repacking the zip rename it to Kof2003f.zip.

3. Look carefully to have the right s1.rom inside.

4. have Fun

Kind Regards

Dark

This is NOT a supported release (much like Kawax+ and KawaxSE/Hex)

There are various problems that need to be discussed and I'll try and update them on this first post as much as possible.

Q: Does this hacked FBAx support all other "banned" games?

A: No, it does not - however, there is another version of this "hacked" FBAx floating around that does.

Q: Why is their a white block on the right edge of the screen?

A: This is caused by Razoola's Universe Bios.

Q: Why is my rom only playing in AES mode?

A: Apparently, FBAx has a bug where when it laods for the 1st time, it loads in AES mode despite the selection of MVS. See second post for fix.

Q: Which roms do I use? Mame or Kawax Dev.?

A: This was explained in the readme, but for reconfirming purposes, the Mame release should be used.

Q: Was there more than one Mame release?

A: To my knowledge, there was only ONE Mame release. However, there was a S1 fix that corrected the infinite time glitch in practice mode on the AES version. There have been rumours that there was a second Mame release.

Q: How do I play as the bosses?

A: Enable the debug bios (without AES/MVS options) and move above or below the top or bottom row of characters (Thanks Glitch for this info)(Prican25 for clarification)

Q: Do the standard Mid-Boss codes still work?

A: Yes, they do. (Remember, do them like a special move motion)

Q: Does KoF2k3 have transparencies?

A: From what I understand, the original dump with Mame MAY have transparencies. This would be strange because the neogeo hardware does not support this. There are Kawaks/Nebula transparency builds for "Alpha Blends" out there.

-jin

Edited by shadowjin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Why is my rom only playing in AES mode?

A: Apparently, FBAx has a bug where when it laods for the 1st time, it loads in AES mode despite the selection of MVS.

This stems from a bug in the code of FBAx b4.

The bug causes all NeoGeo games to load in AES when first loaded.

To remedy this, simply perform the following steps when loading.

1.) Load game (default setting is MVS)

2.) Go to settings and change setting to AES - reset

3.) Allow game to load (ie, let it play for a second)

4.) Go to settings and change setting to MVS - reset

5.) When the game loads, it should be in MVS mode

6.) Proceed to have fun! w00t!

-thanks to Prican25 for pointing this fix out

Edited by shadowjin

Thanks to N3oGhost, there is a working compile of FBAx that supports ALL the banned roms.

Taken from this thread here, Prican25 explained simply how to fix any problems one may encounter with roms not loading

to hex fbax is easy really, just find by the name of the rom :eg 268-m1 and then near it you should see the crc in reverse (1234 5678 = 7856 3412), change that to 0000 0000 and the rom will then boot up so long its the right size. if not the right size you can easily change it in the same manner

update :

what Prican25 means as "in reverse" is that the CRC is actually in reverse. One must remember that hex is programmed in sets of two digits meaning one value. In other words, the value of C5 will always be C5. A value for a CRC that you are looking for may be AE5C FE7B - since it is reversed, it would show up as 7BFE 5CAE. Thought I'd clarify this for people.

Edited by shadowjin

Q: Why does my title screen not look right?

A: This is a result of a Bios that is abnormal being used. The Debug and Universe Bios both can cause this effect. Debug only messes up the title screen and does not share the "white bar" effect that the Universe Bios causes.

Also, reports have come in saying this only happened for Debug ONLY and not when set on Debug with MVS/AES selectable. I have yet to confirm this.

Update : After extensively messing with the bioses, I found that after a few resets, the debug and normal bioses do not yield this problem again. I believe it is merely something about the code that gets jumbled somewhere and the graphics come out wrong. Go figure. The game runs perfectly otherwise and it's a rom - my solution to you -> live with it. lol.

Edited by shadowjin

Q: My infinite time symbol is messed up - can I fix this?

A: This can be fixed. I patched my s1 using the Mame patch created by Poirot and it worked fine. Only problem is now you have to have your default.xbe updated. You can manually do this, or grab N3oGhost's version of FBAx b4. It has the fix already applied. (Thanks to Prican25 for confirming this)

Prican25 : Much obliged sir. I would have done it this morning anyway (thought about it last night while messing around with the rom.)

Edited by shadowjin

from ArtL

For anybody who got freezing while loading roms (Neogeo Roms). The problem occurs because of DateTime error in Xbox internal clock, just setting it again from MS Dashboard and have fun 

Also if you use the latest bios (X2 4981), it fixes this problem.

Edited by Prican25

I suppose I can answer that... :-D

You need the following items :

1. Modded Xbox able to run homebrew programs

2. Know how to transfer programs and files to and from your hard-drive (tutorial for this can be found at http://www.xbox-scene.com)

3. You'll need a copy of the "hacked" version of FBAx b4, the original dump of KOF2k3, the pmame.bin (fixed p1 rom that is 7mb), and a neogeo bios that has at least the MVS and AES bioses.

4. Upload these onto your xbox and edit your menu to incorporate the FBAx b4 program. (the roms go in the roms folder)

5. you're done - play!

Edited by shadowjin

i have the proper rom set, all the crc's match. i even have the s1 fix and the mame bin file in my ko2k3f.zip file.

upon the xbox fba loading the game, it says the rom set it ok and passes the checks. then it goes to initialize the game, but hangs around 50% or 75% of the way through.