Where on earth??

BoomBa_GoosE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South = weird accent

Hey! I'm from the south and I don't have a weird accent!

I hail from the New Orleans, Louisiana area. Mardi Gras is next week! WOOHOO! Booze, chicks, and half a week off of school!

Edited by GryphonKlaw

South = weird accent

Hey! I'm from the south and I don't have a weird accent!

I hail from the New Orleans, Louisiana area. Mardi Gras is next week! WOOHOO! Booze, chicks, and half a week off of school!

Yea i know there are a few exceptions. But heh ;)

I used to do Karate... well actually it was called Arjuken Karate and that stood for Arnis (Philipino stick-fighting), Jujitsu (throws and stuff) Kendo (sword fighting).

But we did everything. I remember using padded nunchuku and learning how to do axe kicks (I was never flexible enough). Our instructor, Chris, had a huge scar in his chest from when he was in a demonstration whereby the grandmaster of the school had him lie down and put a watermelon on his chest. The idea was he would slice the watermelon clean with a sword but leave Chris unharmed. He sliced the watermelon all right, but Chris needed 40 stitches.

The worst part was, I was two belts away from black belt and then I moved away, and worst still because I had learned philipino karate instead of Japanese karate no-one in this town would accredit me, so I would have had to start again from scratch. I just gave up after that.

Aah, memories! ;)

don't worry belts don't mean a thing. all you need to do is go find a school and train. if you are looking for practical fighitng than don't go to back to a traditional school. i recommend a mixed martial arts school. the problem with a traditional school is that they lack sparring and when they do spar there is to many rules or they have more padding on than a foot ball player. i am not saying that traditional arts are completly useless but if you are going to train at a school where you only practice your techniques on someone that does the exact same thing as you do than you need to venture out and learn how to use tradtional techniques against a non traditional martial artist. but seariously you should go to a MMA school or a school that teaches either muay thi, Brazillian jiu jitsu, or jeet kune do. through my experience i think those are the most compatible and adaptable of all the martial arts. but if you can't find a mma school or a school that teaches any of the arts i listed earlier than just go to any school you can. cause its better to get some training than non at all.

We sparred without padding at Arjuken. Well, the weapons would be paddeded, but I didn't fancy getting smacked in the face with a pair of nunchuku or a kendo sword anyway. And what do you mean about someone that does the same thing? Its hard to be sure what someone can do if they know a little of lots of different styles. I remember our belt earning day thingys...for the higher belts, you'd have to fight 5 white belts, then 4 yellow belts...etc etc...until for my latest belt, I had to fight one of the instructors! (after all the other fights). THAT was hard.