Welcome to 1Emulation.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Timezones

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,839 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.
Click to view battle stats
Explain a few things to me:

Does GMT mean Greenwich(sp?) Main Time?
EST = Eastern Seaboard Time?

Let's say that someone's time is 9:00 PM eastern. What places have their clocks at 9:00 PM at that moment?

I'm GMT +2 hours, so does that mean I'm 2 hours east from Greenwich?

random guy

random guy

What the hell are YOU staring at?

• Ultra Members
  • 1,964 posts
  • Interests:Emulation *duh*
    BASS guitar.
GMT = Grenwich MEAN Time...

EST = Eastern Standard Time.

Grenwich is a little city in England that invented the clock or something, because that city uses the "mean time" for the world. That means, that anything on its lattitude is the same timezone (and likewise to anybody on the EST latitude).

Look at an atlas or a globe. There will obviously be the horizontal lines (equator, tropic of cancer, etc...) but there are also some vertical lines. These are the timezones. Each zone is one hour difference. So if you are +2 to grenwich mean time, you are two lines away from the LATITUDE of Grenwich (nothing to do with the longditude). <and if its 9pm est, and est is +2 to GMT, GMT would be 7pm)

Also, if you follow all the lines to their point, you will notice that they all converge at the artic/antarctic. This is why there are 6months of summer + 6months of winter in these places, because the timezones all intersect. The summer 6 months is actually one long "day" and the winter six months is one long "night".

Edited by random guy, 09 February 2004 - 11:39 PM.

Weirdy

Weirdy

life...is like a box of chocolates

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 7,291 posts
I live in California, and thats GMT -8

Diso

Diso

Poppy

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,145 posts
If all else fails, just experiment with the time zones till you get the one thats right :lol:

Rag

Rag

Spoony Bard

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 1,933 posts
I had to do that once. I would always have to change my clock because about a week after everytime I changed it, it would change back. Then I realized it wasnt set on the right time zone :lol:

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,839 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.
Thank you for your replies. I do know what timezones are, I was just a little confused with the terms. :lol:

Edited by Agozer, 10 February 2004 - 11:05 AM.

possessed

possessed

Novice

• Members
  • 27 posts
I don't have any problem with that, i'm "on GMT" so i don't have much to worry about, the rest is irrelevant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users