ATI or Nvidia???

O-Fear

ATI or Nvidia ???  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

but Nvidia's video cards supports OpenGL! ! ! doesnt that matter ?? ^_^

Open GL is a dying breed. It will be replaced with DirectX9 games soon, such as Halo.

You misunderstand *why* OpenGL exists in the first place. It's an open API. DirectX is 100% proprietary, and is only supported under Windows. Supposedly an upcoming version of Virtual PC will allow Mac gamers to play DirectX-only games, and there's already Wine and WineX for playing non-ported games under Linux. Still, that's not good enough for some people.

OpenGL won't be dying anytime soon, not as long as companies like id and Epic continue to support it.

I'm royally pissed about Half Life though. With the original, most of the game servers running were Linux servers. Was there a Linux client? Nope. Could it have run under Linux? Yes, even the Windows version supported OpenGL. Linux gamers who were hopeful for a Linux client got screwed, and Valve has already shown that they have absolutely no intentions to release anything more than a Linux server for Half Life 2.

As for Halo... it *would* have been an awesome OpenGL game, if Microsoft hadn't bought Bungie, and left their Macintosh loyalists out in the cold. Also, no co-op in the PC version; what's up with that? If Bungie had remained thier own company, there may have even eventually been a Linux client. But noooo... MS just HAD to have that killer app for the XBOX.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but Nvidia's video cards supports OpenGL! ! ! doesnt that matter ?? :)

Open GL is a dying breed. It will be replaced with DirectX9 games soon, such as Halo.

You misunderstand *why* OpenGL exists in the first place. It's an open API. DirectX is 100% proprietary, and is only supported under Windows. Supposedly an upcoming version of Virtual PC will allow Mac gamers to play DirectX-only games, and there's already Wine and WineX for playing non-ported games under Linux. Still, that's not good enough for some people.

OpenGL won't be dying anytime soon, not as long as companies like id and Epic continue to support it.

I'm royally pissed about Half Life though. With the original, most of the game servers running were Linux servers. Was there a Linux client? Nope. Could it have run under Linux? Yes, even the Windows version supported OpenGL. Linux gamers who were hopeful for a Linux client got screwed, and Valve has already shown that they have absolutely no intentions to release anything more than a Linux server for Half Life 2.

As for Halo... it *would* have been an awesome OpenGL game, if Microsoft hadn't bought Bungie, and left their Macintosh loyalists out in the cold. Also, no co-op in the PC version; what's up with that? If Bungie had remained thier own company, there may have even eventually been a Linux client. But noooo... MS just HAD to have that killer app for the XBOX.

It would of came out on MAC before PC. Because Bungie = Mac based company before it was bought out.

Yes I know OpenGL was open API. But with the things that are going on now, better to embrace DX other then hating it for ever. And the HL2 think, yes, you did get screwed over, but it was the company's choice, and theres nothing you can do about it. Lets hope they put the Servers on it for sure thought.

OpenGL is dying, because it isn't support enough as it used to. As the first generation of DX9 cards come out, companies will surely change within time.

Also when BTX comes out, its going to be a whole new game by then, Intel getting rid of the old I/O bus.

Actually, is MS hasn't of bought Bungie they would have either died or been bought out by Sony. Bungie was under financial trouble and was worried they wouldn't have the funding to release Halo at all. Rockstar was suppose to have publishing rights to Halo for the PS2.

Imagine how the game would of liked if it came out for the PS2!

Plus, Halo suffered from rushing since Bungie almost had to scrap everything from the PC half to be rebuilt on the Xbox hardware.

Was looking in to comparisons between ATI and NVIDIA cards... anandtech seemed to have a good spread.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955

Will someone tell me why they're using Flash to display graphs? I actually had to load up Internet Explorer, curse it, in order to see the stats on noise and heat and framerates.

Considering NVIDIA's decent Linux support, and their higher framerate in Halo, I'm leaning torwards the BFG cards. They seemed to have a good heat to noise to performance ration.

Or, I could wait until April/May and see if anything interesting happens in this market.

MSI, Asus and Gainward are cards you want if you're getting a GeForce. Althought I find Asus cards expensive as fsck, their still very good and stable. Gainward is the way to go if you're overclocking :D

whats better, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or the ATI Radeon 9600 XT???

9800 Pro.

but i saw in ATI's site that the ATI Radeon 9800XT and the ATI Radeon 9600XT will have the same FPS in games except that the 9600XT will have less "Special Effects" then the 9800XT will have..